Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of gun do you carry around, and do you leave it year-round? If so, how is it stored. I'm concerned about corrosion prevention for year-round totin' of a Hi-Point carbine in my Jeep, and a Mosin-Nagant in my truck.

Thanks.

·
propane evangelist
798 Posts
I carry a .357, but on my person not in my vehicle.

Why are you planning on leaving a rifle in your truck? Doesn't seem like a great idea if you live in the Mt. Morris area.

Having said that, I would probably use a silicon gun sock, with regular cleanings/tear down.

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts
Why are you planning on leaving a rifle in your truck? Doesn't seem like a great idea if you live in the Mt. Morris area.

Having said that, I would probably use a silicon gun sock, with regular cleanings/tear down.
x2

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
if you leave a gun in your truck I sure hope it is in a safe, bolted to the floor

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
In my 1967 M715 Jeep,

In my 1967 M35a2 Jeep,

In my 1953 M37 Dodge,
thats fucking awesome dave.

as for keeping your mosin nagant safe, oil it up good and it should be fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As for the CCW, I have one. That gun is with me if I happen to be wearing pants...
As for securing it well, DUUH!...
As for why:
1: Because I can.
2: It's a tool. Just like any other piece of emergency gear.
a:Why do you carry recovery gear? Do you always plan to get stuck?
b:Why do you buy insurance? Do you always plan to have an accident?
c: why carry a cell phone or C.B. or bother with GPS or even a map & compass?
3: I suppose you have never been wheeling somewhere and come across an opportunity to do some off-the-cuff hunting or shooting?
4: Will you be this bent out of shape when you find I also carry a small tent, a couple folding chairs and some fishing gear, shovel and axe?
5: I'm retired and don't have to be ANYWHERE at ANY TIME, so I can turn a day trip into a weekender if I feel like it, so I make sure I CAN.

Now that the 'what's wrong with you' stuff is hopefully addressed, let's get back to the question at hand... Those of you that carry a truck gun...How do you carry it, and do you have any special methods to keep them in good shape?

As for me, I imagine the Mosin will not be problematic, since even after I finish with the conversion to a Mannlicher stocked short-barreled (18-20") carbine, I'm only installing peep sights, so I'll most likely use a silicone gun sock with a 1 pound dessicant bag and a thorough oiling before packing it away. However, the Hi-Point will have a red dot on it, and with the ATI stock, I may have a problem fitting it into a sock, so I kinda thought about using the nylon guncase with 2-3 1 pound bags of dessicant and the obligatory whack of oil. In this case the mix of 30wt/Duralube I usually use on my machine tools and action parts.

Beast, I wish I could use a rack like that, but unfortunately it must be encased and unloaded here. A lockable rack of that type would make life easier, and the gun wouldn't need to be left in place to keep it from being a pain to deal with.

·
i don't much care for you
2,397 Posts
I have always searched to find the perfect to way to store a rifle in the TJ... Not around town, but when I am camping or off roading.

i have a net like this one,

which i have fastened a soft case too... but this in unpractical and never stays in place.

if anyone has a good Jeep storage concept, let me know

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
For something like that, I would go with the Kel Tec folding rifle (forget the model), which comes in .223 or the new .22LR version, or maybe an AK with folding stock, Or a AR that I could easily break down to it's two parts and keep a good short hardcase (like a takedown shotgun case) bolted to the floor behind the back seat and locked. I have about 12 Master padlocks around here all keyed the same for everything from sheds to trailer hitches to you-name-it. Makes life a little easier...

·
And yet another Heap.....
935 Posts
M1 carbine paratrooper. It has a collapsable stock and is 26.5" long when collapsed. It has to be registered as a pistol it's so small........

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
For something like that, I would go with the Kel Tec folding rifle (forget the model), which comes in .223 or the new .22LR version, or maybe an AK with folding stock, Or a AR that I could easily break down to it's two parts and keep a good short hardcase (like a takedown shotgun case) bolted to the floor behind the back seat and locked. I have about 12 Master padlocks around here all keyed the same for everything from sheds to trailer hitches to you-name-it. Makes life a little easier...
Or a Henry survival rifle and another but they have gone up in price in the last couple of years

·
Registered
157 Posts
It has to be registered as a pistol it's so small........
I would strongly suggest editing your post. A folding gun registered as a pistol must be 26-30" in length, anything less than 26 is illegal, anything over 30" is just a rifle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
To answer the original question- Mossberg 500 and a 22 rifle. The 500 has a 20" choked barrel and a side saddle full of slugs, with a spare california loader next to it. I have a box of assorted bird and buck shot should I want to hunt with it.

22 has a few different types of ammo as well, whether I just want to plink with it or go small game hunting. Both serve their purpose well.

Both are stored in a locked 1/2" welded steel box that is bolted to the floor.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have a bolt action .410 that i keep in the Cherokee, holds 6 shells and it can shoot 3 inchers which is nice, its old but its a heck of a lot of fun to shoot

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would strongly suggest editing your post. A folding gun registered as a pistol must be 26-30" in length, anything less than 26 is illegal, anything over 30" is just a rifle.
If it can fire when folded, it must be registered. For instance, the Kel-Tec .223 cannot fire when folded, but many bullpup rifles must be registered as handguns.

·
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
3,118 Posts
If its older than 1958 and is original Military configuration, its under Curios and Relics and is not illegal.

Other than that, I'm not sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts