Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago while driving home from work I tried to downshift my manual trans from 5th to 4th, but it was like there was a gate in the way not allowing me to. I didn't think anything of it and went on my way. The problem went away when I slowed down a little more. Yesterday while driving home from work, the same thing happened except this time I was pulling into a gas station and shifted to neutral and couldn't get it back into any gears. I tried using the gas and pushing hard wiggling it, but nothing. I finally had the wrangler towed back to my house. Any ideas? One thing that game to my mind is I have been having issues with a death wobble. It hasn't been bad this week, but I suppose it shifted the trans from the shifter maybe.

·
Because racecar
4,041 Posts
What year? It sounds like you are having clutch issues, like it's not disengaging. It may possibly be a bad clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder. Check the clutch master cylinder on the firewall and see if it is low or empty. If it is, look for a leak at the master inside the vehicle, or at the slave under the vehicle at the bell housing.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yeah, sounds like the clutch is not disengaging. If you drive it again try to "float" it in by matching the rpms to the speed and gear your in. Or try pumping the clutch pedal to build up pressure, that has worked for me in the past. 1997 TJ that is a pretty simple fix. Last time my YJ did this, i filled it up and it was fixed for about 3 days, then back to not working.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to go home at lunch and check it out. I tried getting it into gears with difference rpms yesterday when I was stranded. I will check the fluid. I was going to have someone come get it from a trans shop today.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I checked out the clutch and all the fluids. It is something internal. I am going to take the trans to a shop.

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
can u get it into gear if its not moving? if so once its in gear hit the clutch and see if you can roll the jeep, if it rolls the clutch is working.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK so I guess two of my sliders locked up and they are saying it will take 1900 to fix. So, now I need to know what model years had the ax-15 trans that is in my 97 wrangler? I am sure at least 97-99 are the same, but what about the other TJ models? Also, any ideas on where to find a replacement quick (and in TX now that I'm living here).

·
Registered
69 Posts
i had a s-10 do the same thing.i was in 5th gear and went to downshift and nothing it was stuck in 5th gears. i pulled into a parking lot and took the shifter out and tried to get it to come out and couldnt. had to get it fixed dont remember what part it was but it was broke. only cost me 400 but they wanted 200 to take it out and then 200 to put it back in. i just did that myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts