Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how difficult it is to replace these lines? My Jeep is a 98 Wrangler with the stock Automatic transmission. Am I going to have to drop the tranny to get to them?

Any idea how much the lines themselves are going to cost?

The dealership wants $500 to do this job, I thought it was covered under my drivetrain warranty but it turns out its not. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. I feel like I could be in over my head.

-Brandon

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
-Brandon

Normally you do not have to drop the transmission to replace the lines. Usually you do not have to replace all the lines, just whatever is leaking. The best advice I can think of is to get an aftermarket oil cooler for the transmission and bypass the cooler that is built into your radiator. What I have done in the past is cut the lines where they enter the radiator and put the rubber hose that comes with the oil cooler right onto it and hose clamp it down. I would recommend making a bracket to hold the cooler, as opposed to using the poke-through zip type connectors packaged with the cooler. The bracket can be easily made with some metal strapping and small bolts. There is a difference in oil coolers, some are little radiators, while some are bent tubing with fins attached to it. I was directed to the radiator type for better cooling.

Where is yours leaking?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They said the lines themselves and the connectors are leaking so bad they had to fix them before they could even look at the rest of the tranny to see if anything is wrong.

I'm not 100% sure yet.. haven't gotten it back yet either.

I guess the lines are dealer only, and they are like $100 each.

-Brandon

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea.. I called Victor George, and they wanted $95 for each line, then $12 for a connector (need 2), and $23 for another connector (need 2)..

And he said 25% is usually what you get off..

-Brandon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts