Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
TOSIAR
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 YJ that the transfer case blew up while going down the road. I got a replacement 231J out of a 94 and it's quite a bit different. Does anyone know what years YJ I'd be able to get a T.C. out of that would be the same as the original?

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
Should be almost identical as long as they are both from a 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder

·
TOSIAR
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Motor started out as a 4.2L, now a stroker. Tranny is a 5 speed manual. Not sure of the part # on the trans.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts

AX-15 (new) vs peugeot BA-10/5 (old).

My guess is that you have the peugeot (not so common but available for your year) and got an AX-15 t-case (very common) If so I would just keep the t-case and upgrade the transmission to the AX-15.

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
Only difference is in Input spline counts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Only thing I see is the thing for the front axle disconnect and the speedo output. Can't see the input shafts but you can swap that over if needed.

·
TOSIAR
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The speedo input on the newer T.C. is definitely different but i dont really need a speedo, as well as it has what appears to be a group of vacuum ports on it that are not on the 1 that gernaded. The old 1 simply shifted with 1 lever and the newer 1 doesn't look like it would attach and shift in the same manner. I'll try 2 get some pics up tonight after work but the old 1 is hard to photograph as it's in 100 pcs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts