Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just noticed like two days ago that my crossmembers only being held on by one nut on each side. the two others are sheared off. im wondering which would be the easier, better way to go about fixing this, im thinkin about just drilling out the studs, and drilling the hole big enough to fit some 1/2" geade 8 hardware, w/ nuts on the inside of the framerail, maybe tack welded on. a freind of mine told me last night to just get a stud remover, and pull the studs out, and replace them with metric bolts. im just lookin for ease of repair here b/c i dont think theres really a difference between the two, except the weld nut breaking off or something

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,130 Posts
yeah, so what kind of jeep there..........

yj's, TJ's, XJ's, commanches, cj's are all a little different

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts
If this is an XJ take down the cross member and use a little heat on them. A good pair of Vice Grips and a little back and forth action should get them moving and they "should" back out. If you drill them out I've been told a 7/16 fine thread will work if re-tap the nuts, I don't see why you can't do half however.

BTW if it is and XJ the studs have a little step on them that won't fit thru the cross member so it is best if you get it out of the way.

Best of luck to ya.

·
NO RELIGION WAT!
28,166 Posts
im thinkin about just drilling out the studs, and drilling the hole big enough to fit some 1/2" geade 8 hardware, w/ nuts on the inside of the framerail, maybe tack welded on.
I dunno. I tried that to find out the weld nuts were hardend :mad: #*$()&((^^#*%@%&#@#%^:mad:

I did use a typical drill bit. Perhaps a carbide drill bit would cut through. Not so sure how it would tap though

What did happen was the mfing weld nut broke free :mad: #%*^#%()*%*)&%_^(%)*&&($^*$#@:mad:

So I drilled a new location and fished in a bolt :d:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts