Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Trans slipping?

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  GreaseMonkey 
#1 ·
It hesistates, gear hunts, slips and shifts hard but only from little to maybe 1/3 throttle. Past that, it shifts nice and crisp and there are no issues.

This leads me to believe it's the TPS again, but I'm not positive. It really feels like a TPS issue.

Thoughts?

'01 Dodge Ram 4x4 5.9L 46RE

#9 ·
that time with the dented pan could have hurt it a bit.

#12 ·
Already did. No luck.

Got an appointment at the stealership Monday.

Have to tow the motorcycle home this weekend.

I noticed something kind of odd. With the increased load on the motor with the trailer, the trans stopped "slipping." That paired with the additive not working makes me think that possibly the MAP or some other sensor the trans uses to control shift points is starting to go.

#20 ·
I know everyone thinks they are junk but really dodge a trans last just fine if you change the fluid and adjust the bands when they are suppose to. I like to think of it this way the 700r4(now 4l60e) came out in 82 and was a shitty trans until about 93 thats 11 years. The 518(turned into 46re) came out in 90 and was already an ok trans buy 93. If dodge is on the same plan as GM the 01 and up trans should be a pretty good unit. I personally think dodge got the O.D. program together a lot quiker than GM or Ford everyone just bitches whenever a dodge trans fails and dont really talk about the other brands failings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.