Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,847 Posts
Also, auto trans out of a 89 XJ will be a 21 spline output shaft which may not mate up to your transfer case(23 spline with 4.0L). You can use a 4 cylinder TJ T-case (21 spline) though.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I did this swap into a 97 TJ. Lots of wiring work to do, but all doable. That stuoffroad site has all the info you need. We used a AW4 from a 92 XJ into my 97 TJ with no trouble at all - so I dont think you need a newer AW4 to match up with a newer TJ. As the AW4 is likely a different lenght (longer?) than a stock TJ auto, You will also need a short...very short rear drive shaft. I had a XJ front double CV shaft cut down and ran an SYE. Front shaft will need to be longer - and due to its length larger diameter - costly to have built. Our Jeep had a AX5 which was way shorter than the AW4. You also have to fabricate a new tranny mount - the stuoffroad site covers that quite well. And.... you wil lhave to reclock the t-case mounting holes on the tranny - we simply made a template and drilled the freehand. Output shaft length will have to be addressed as well - an easy fix - we used a cut off wheel, a hose clamp as a guide, and cut away. If you do this, I can get you more specifics and some pics - right down to how much we had to cut off the output shaft.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I put an aw4 in my tj and the tcase I baught used with a tera low was out of an xj also. After putting it in and running it I did take it apart and reindex the tcase. I was able to raise the front output about 2 inches. That may not be enough for the effort but I did it because I figured I didnt cut any other corners I wasnt going to start now. The xj definitly hang down more. I had a spare tranny so I just drilled my spare and switched them out in the vehicle.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I believe my 32RH is dying. Not too bad though for 242k miles- rather than put in another 3 speed, I want to do an AW4. The wiring part doesn't seem so bad, I am just wondering what else I need to worry about. I have not been able to find a write-up on doing an auto to auto conversion. I am thinking it will be a bit easier than going from a stick to the AW4...

·
Live Action!
15,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe my 32RH is dying. Not too bad though for 242k miles- rather than put in another 3 speed, I want to do an AW4. The wiring part doesn't seem so bad, I am just wondering what else I need to worry about. I have not been able to find a write-up on doing an auto to auto conversion. I am thinking it will be a bit easier than going from a stick to the AW4...

Read post 4

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have read that article as well as both on the Stu-offroad site, however both detail how to do the swap from a manual to auto TJ. Mine is already an automatic, what are the differences? For instance, do I need the shifter from the XJ as I already have a shifter for an auto? I know it will not say OD on it, but the gear index is still the same, right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.