Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
give 'er sh*t ay?
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 46rh tranny thats puked, anyone know how to build it up and what parts to use? and would it be worth it? Should I just look for a 47rh? or is there another tranny that will bolt in that is better than either of thoes?
-r-

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I spent about $2300 a few years ago to build a 46re for a '98 5.9 ZJ. It is basically 47re diesel tranny internals shoved in the 46re case. I would assume you can do the same thing with the rh's.

·
give 'er sh*t ay?
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive heard of doing that, but i dont understand why people dont just buy the 47rh tranny and bedone with it. i am contemplating on weither or not to buy a use 47rh or rebuild mine, but i dont have $2k to put in to it. thanks for the advice though.
-r-

·
Pickup Agent
2,094 Posts
The cases are the same size. The 47RH transmission was created by upgrading the 46RH transmission and the overdrive unit. Base transmission revisions were:
Input shaft enlarged 0.070-inches at the torque converter clutch oil feed hole
Torque converter clutch oil feed hole shot-peened inside
Pressure angle on spline between the intermediate shaft and the front planetary gear unit changed from 37.5 degrees to 30 degrees
Fifth pinion added to the front planetary gear carrier
Reverse band widened and changed from single to double wrapped configuration
Reverse servo unit revised
Case casting and machining redesigned to accommodate internal changes noted above
Overdrive unit revisions included the following:
Ninth disc added to overdrive direct drive clutch
Output shaft governor shaft cross hole shot peened to increase fatigue life
Output shaft selective annealing process revised to allow governor shaft cross hole to remain hard
Governor drive key changed from semi-circular "Woodruff" to a 1/ 4-inch square to reduce stress on the shaft

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.