Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a trailer this weekend and didn't come with nothing but a Bill of sale.

Guy said I needed to get it weighed and bring the weigh slip and bill of sale up to S.O.S. and then I can get a plate.

Couldn't find very much info on michigan.gov, So I am whats your guys ideas/experiences

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
as long as it is a homemade trailer no title needed just a weight slip
if it was baught with a tittle new then you need it

·
iamfawkinwithyou
20,722 Posts
just tell them it is home built and have a weight slip, done it many of times

·
"RHINO ZJ"
760 Posts
Even though it doesn't need a title if it is under 2500lbs, it is still nice to have if you need to resell it.

Mine only weighed like 1585lbs and I had to do the same thing with a weigh slip and such, but it was nice to have the title when I resold it.

·
OllllO
1,631 Posts
Just vbought one from a guy, no title buthe had a registration and plate and the registration matched all the serial #s on the original trailer tag. also got a bill of sale.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you have a bill of sale and the previous owners registration do you still need a weigth slip? I have one I need to get registered and this is what I got. Where can you get them weighed? Scrap yard?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If you have a bill of sale and the previous owners registration do you still need a weigth slip? I have one I need to get registered and this is what I got. Where can you get them weighed? Scrap yard?
If you have the previous reg, you probably don't need to get it weighed. I have a little trailer that I needed to get a reg for; luckily, I had a customer who had a scale they weigh trucks with, and they weighed it for me. I wasn't having any luck finding another place that could do it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called the SOS a few days back and they said if it is a home built trailer you need a weight slip and receipts of all items purchased for trailer.

·
Chrome Trucker Chicks Rul
3,217 Posts
I did this. I got a trailer a few years ago in a trade. I had it weighed and told the BMV it was home built. I had no problems getting a tag.

x2

·
Registered
14 Posts
i just finished and plated my 1800 pound deckover. you need to go get it weighed and take the weigh slip to the secratery of state. if its 2500 pounds or less its 75 bucks gor the perment plate. tell them that its home made and that you didnt buy anything for it you just used stuff that you had lying around other wise ur gonna have to pay tax on the stuff you say you paid for.SO JUST LIE!! after that you wilol be good to go. happy haulin!!

·
"The Situation"
14,415 Posts
other wise ur gonna have to pay tax on the stuff you say you paid for.SO JUST LIE!! after that you wilol be good to go. happy haulin!!
so say you bought everything for it in Mi.. you pay sale tax when you purchase the stuff to begin with.. then you have to pay tax again when you register it.. hmmm something dont seem right BUT this is Michigan.

and if I build my own trailer how am i supposed to get it to the scale to weigh it? trailer it on an already registered trailer ?? or is there some loophole that allows you to tow an empty unregistered trailer ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts