Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I am safe about what I do. I am not going to set up a rig like this and head for the mountains without getting in a lot of hours first on flat land and being ready for the challenge of long hills. If I have to get my CDL, I am going to get some help from a few CDL drivers I know and get the CDL.

There is no chance I am going to drop 5 grand and 5 weeks of my time in some class. Nothing against anyone that has gone that route, its just not my style. I have self taught myself everything I have ever done and thats probably not going to change.

That said, I have gotten both answers saying that I need a CDL and that I don't. One person said that I can't just go to another state and ignore the laws. Someone else said I am only responsible for the laws where I am licensed.

Does anyone know for sure what the rule on this is?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
No I do not plan to pull professionally. I am going to do nothing different than several people here do with pulling their jeeps however I do plan to eventually go South, mostly to Kentucky, to wheel. Michigan laws say that if its personal you do not need a CDL. Indiana and Kentucky laws say that you do. Last thing I wanna do is get stuck down South not being able to travel because I am supposed to have one.

·
It's got a HEMI!
6,563 Posts
You have to abide by the laws in each state you pull in. It's no different then the speed limit. Just because Michigan has a 70 mph speed limit doesn't mean you can go to a state that has a 65 mph and drive 70 with out an issue. I have an uncle that pulls his boat behind his 5th wheel and before all the states adopted a rec doubles endorsoment he had an issue in one of the states he drove thru on his way to Florida. It's no different then with a commercial truck. If you need tag axles to haul a certain weight in Michigan but not in the state you are licensed in the DOT is not going to let you slide just because your rig is registered in another state.

·
welfare wheeler
6,990 Posts
Start studying hard for the inspection test.
The one I took was 144 points, and had to b worded correctly.
I could miss 20 pts I think. Its not impossible, but not easy.

.04 is dui, in your personal vehicle for a cdl holder.
Any alcohol in your system at all in a cmv is dui.
u cant transport alcohol in a cmv at all.
If u dont drink, that wont matter.

If u ever get in an accident, your ins co. will b sued, even if it aint your fault.
Insurance and plates will b quite pricey!

Go get a bunch of log books, u have to b up to date to your last duty status change at all times. Faking a log book is a crime. Fines are not cheap!
Logging an inspection pre and post trip Is the law.(15 mins min.)
B4 u reach your 8 hr mark, u have to take a 30 min rest break.
U can only drive 11 hrs in a 14 hr period.
U have to take a solid 10 hr break.(need a sleeper, or hotel receipt).
U often cant park a cmv on private property.(hope u live close to a truck stop)
u will mostly b parking in rest areas and truck stops with a cdl/cmv.
u will b held to the lower "truck" speed limit.
any road marked no trucks, that means u now.
dont forget to stop at all weight stations. Pray they dont inspect u!
when u do get inspected, u will get a ticket! (Happens every couple years)
Your buddy cant borrow your truck anymore.
Got a light out, missing a mud flap, pull over and fix it, or get a ticket.
get a set of tire chains. Learn how to install em, in the worst weather.

if you are a combination under 26k, the rules might b slightly different.
I only pay attention to over 26k rules, with 3 rigs you will b over 26k anyway.

Can u pass the physical?
Cross a state line, and u gotta have a medical card.

Im not saying dont get a cdl.
Im saying its a huge hassle, and u dont realize what you are in for!
Good luck what ever u do!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
In my opinion its a bit ridiculous. Some crazy old guy who can't see straight can go bombing down the road in his motorhome but I can't pull a couple jeeps on a trailer, lol.

·
Not as old as Whiterhino
1,160 Posts
You have to abide by the laws in each state you pull in. It's no different then the speed limit. Just because Michigan has a 70 mph speed limit doesn't mean you can go to a state that has a 65 mph and drive 70 with out an issue. I have an uncle that pulls his boat behind his 5th wheel and before all the states adopted a rec doubles endorsoment he had an issue in one of the states he drove thru on his way to Florida. It's no different then with a commercial truck. If you need tag axles to haul a certain weight in Michigan but not in the state you are licensed in the DOT is not going to let you slide just because your rig is registered in another state.
Let me say this again in case you weren't listening last time,...... NO, You do NOT need to abide by every states vehicle/driver requirements. If you are licensed in Michigan and the vehicle is titled in Michigan, you only need to conform to the driver/vehicle requirements of your state. Weight restrictions are an entirely different ball of wax and I'm not going there on this discussion. You always have to abide by those regardness of what tyoe of license you have. We're talking about driver/vehicle requirements.
I've researched this AND I've talked to numerous states that have stricter driver/vehicle requirements and they all say the samoe thing.
The only thing that gets lots of people in trouble is the guys who town huge arse trailers with a vehicle that has tons-o-stickers all over it. The obviously know your going to a race.....if the race pays ANYTHING in place money, you're commercial and you will get the book thrown at you, IF the LEO wants to be a jerk about it.
This is what I drive all over the country, 65' long, 49,000 lbs. Never had a problem, EVER, No CDL OR AB Endorsement. And @Wramblerguy, I hear you but remember too there are people who can't even pilot a bicycle successfully. And the guys who pick the M.H.s up from the manufacturers are drivers who WORK for the selling dealers. I've had lots of discussions with the Showhaulers guys on this too as I know Chad and Lonnie very well.
jim-kb8ymf

P.S. @joe_jeep is spot on. DON'T do it you don't have to. You're subjecting yourself to all sorts of additional restrictions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,991 Posts
Let me say this again in case you weren't listening last time,...... NO, You do NOT need to abide by every states vehicle/driver requirements. If you are licensed in Michigan and the vehicle is titled in Michigan, you only need to conform to the driver/vehicle requirements of your state. Weight restrictions are an entirely different ball of wax and I'm not going there on this discussion. You always have to abide by those regardness of what tyoe of license you have. We're talking about driver/vehicle requirements.

I've researched this AND I've talked to numerous states that have stricter driver/vehicle requirements and they all say the samoe thing.

The only thing that gets lots of people in trouble is the guys who town huge arse trailers with a vehicle that has tons-o-stickers all over it. The obviously know your going to a race.....if the race pays ANYTHING in place money, you're commercial and you will get the book thrown at you, IF the LEO wants to be a jerk about it.

This is what I drive all over the country, 65' long, 49,000 lbs. Never had a problem, EVER, No CDL OR AB Endorsement. And @Wramblerguy, I hear you but remember too there are people who can't even pilot a bicycle successfully. And the guys who pick the M.H.s up from the manufacturers are drivers who WORK for the selling dealers. I've had lots of discussions with the Showhaulers guys on this too as I know Chad and Lonnie very well.

jim-kb8ymf

P.S. @joe_jeep is spot on. DON'T do it you don't have to. You're subjecting yourself to all sorts of additional restrictions.

I think it was the Renegade guys that told me about a guy that came from Detroit to pick his up and was shocked at how big it actually was and seemed scared when he got behind the wheel. Or it may of been after they delivered it, I don't quite remember. It has just made me more cautious around these thing on the highway knowing that the driver may not be the most skilled individual.
And Chad and Lonnie are both super cool guys, thankfully that's the case with most of the industry. End off topic rant

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
jim-kb8ymf

The reason you have no issues are your exempt. Your power unit is a motorhome. Motorhomes are exempt for all DOT regulations. You could weigh in over 80k and theres nothing the DOT can do.
Op post up a pic of your power unit . For three years when thigs were slow at the construction company i worked at the boss had a hairbrained idea to get into CDL testing and training. So for three years i trained people in a classroom to drive truck. And i also administrator CDL, auto,and Motorcycle test. Still do test on Saturdays but no longer train. If you need training contact Novi testing and training. Speak to Vladimir and he will take care of you.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
I am safe about what I do. I am not going to set up a rig like this and head for the mountains without getting in a lot of hours first on flat land and being ready for the challenge of long hills. If I have to get my CDL, I am going to get some help from a few CDL drivers I know and get the CDL.

There is no chance I am going to drop 5 grand and 5 weeks of my time in some class. Nothing against anyone that has gone that route, its just not my style. I have self taught myself everything I have ever done and thats probably not going to change.

That said, I have gotten both answers saying that I need a CDL and that I don't. One person said that I can't just go to another state and ignore the laws. Someone else said I am only responsible for the laws where I am licensed.

Does anyone know for sure what the rule on this is?
You can't get enough experience driving flat land to prepare you for mountain driving. Rule of thumb for mountains is whatever gear you went up in come down in the same gear or one lower. Or if you went up the mountain at 25mph come down at 25 mph or less. Brake fade sucks and can happen fast.

As far as being self taught to drive . This is very much a possibility. I was taught to drive by my former boss,and father. They both taught me a lot of things about driving a truck. But there was a ton i didn't know until i went to training to be an instructor. And then i learned even more when i got into admitted the skills test.

If your power unit appears to be a commercial truck and your hauling 3 jeeps be prepared to be messed with. This is where a pickup truck is better as it doesn't get the attention of the DOT man as easy as a retired commercial truck.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
From people I know that have mega trucks. They have a full on semi with a 53' trailer. No cdl, no ab endorsement, it's only for personal use. Been using that for the better part of a decade. Get a truck to pull what trailer you want and have fun. Your not a commercial driver, no need for a commercial license

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,454 Posts
Consider with what you really want to do with the truck. If you only want to pull 3 jeeps down to Kentucky getting anything more then a one ton with a compression brake, air ride, and a healthy diesel is overkill.

Most people don't buy that international unless they have plans to pull something heavy with it or have pockets deep enough to support having what can best be called a toy.

Having a CDL can be a pain. That being said a phone call and a fax to cover the insurance and you can drive/pull almost anything with the proper endorsement and permit.

I have a XT endorsement and keep it current. Once you have a CDL it is around $60 a year for a medical and around $150 every couple of years if you have hazardous.

Vehicle inspections should be done on anything you plan to drive more then a few consecutive hours in a day. I have never personally gone more then 300 miles without checking out the truck before and at least once during. You catch things and save issues. It is just a good practice to pop that hood, walk around, and peek under to see if you can catch anything.
If you find something it does suck. But, it is better to spend some extra time at the hotel then on the side of the road waiting for the mechanic who may not have every bit and piece for your ride in that utility box requiring a tow bill and such.

Logs are not a big pain. Once you do a few pages you will be use to them. It helps you keep records of your fuel mileage and other expenses. Just be neat with them and you will be fine.

As far as where you can go. Most hotels will frown on someone with a trailer that long due to the parking it requires.
If it says no trucks there is usually a tight turn or 5 ton bridge somewhere. None of this you want to do pulling 3 jeeps anyway. Many times if you are on a truck route they will give vague directions on which direction to go to avoid going over something illegal.
Route planning ahead of time will save lots of issues.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
From people I know that have mega trucks. They have a full on semi with a 53' trailer. No cdl, no ab endorsement, it's only for personal use. Been using that for the better part of a decade. Get a truck to pull what trailer you want and have fun. Your not a commercial driver, no need for a commercial license
Do these semi trucks have a sleeper berth? If so that can be considered living space and be titled as a motor home. I have a school bus that i converted into a rv. After 3 inspections i was successful on getting it titled as a rv. I used to use it for snowmobiling but have since retired it and now its a moblie storage unit.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I am fully aware that I can pull all of it with a 1 ton, however even a 1 ton pulling 3 jeeps would technically require a CDL.

I agree that a 1 ton truck is going to get less attention than an international. The international I have now is a Loadstar. Have been looking at a S Series/4700 series for doing more long distance stuff.

Just like the Jeeps are toys, the truck is a toy as well. Yes, I can pull it with a pickup, but I have more fun doing things differently. To me its not always just about the destination. Sometimes it is nice to just hook up the trailer to the pickup and go.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
So if I go through the effort of adding living space to the truck, I can then pull whatever I want where I want with no regulations?

That seems a bit insane, but maybe the way to go.

41 - 60 of 110 Posts