Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so on the way home tonight my oil presure gage drops to 0, I freak out pull over, and it comes back up . shut it down check oil its fine, start it up has 30 LBS (normal) slowly rev it up so see if the pan runs dry as I was on the eway Nothing just fine so I drive off it drops right back down, but it seams more of a short in the wire or some thing becasue, if I sverve it moves around so I stop again wiggle wires and its about the same and has a mind of its own and if I move it goes down but only under load and as I curve on roads is moves around again

here is where the wife come in to play I tell he No to take the truck tomorrow as the oil presure is at 0 and before I can say and and Check to see if its the gauge is broke she says "its allways been like that. well atleast for the last week anyways I just figured it was the gauge broke" :fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:

she damm lucky it wasnt like the pick up tube fell off or out of oil and she blew up the motor

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no can't sleep and just desided to post it now as i just thought of it that was at 7 pm she said it

·
3,591 Posts
haha. thats one thing i stress to the females. "make sure this one with the funny looking flag is always in the middle"

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
she cannot be that smart if she married you.

·
Desert Rat
7,153 Posts
I don't know what king of vehicle you have. But some newer vehicles the gauge is a faux pas. It is really a switch that gives computer generated readings, not actual readings. The gauge is only htere to look cool. It is only a glorified idiot light.

the following is from 3rd gen dodge/cummings factory manual

Engine Oil Pressure Message - The instrument cluster circuitry restricts the oil pressure gauge needle operation in order to provide readings that are consistent with customer expectations. Each time the cluster receives a message from the PCM or ECM indicating the engine oil pressure is above about 41 kPa (6 psi) the cluster holds the gauge needle at a point near the middle increment within the normal range on the gauge scale.
Engine Oil Pressure Low Message - Each time the cluster receives three consecutive bus messages from the PCM or ECM indicating the engine oil pressure is below about 41 kPa (6 psi), the gauge needle is moved to the red graduations (except SRT-10) or to the red zone (SRT-10) at the far left end of the gauge scale, the check gauges indicator is illuminated, and a single chime tone is generated
The real bitch is it is timed, so it is only reading on/off every thirty seconds or so.

I understand newer jeeps and fords are like this as well.

That is a big reason I drive a 2nd gen cummins. I'll decide if the pressure is inadequate, I just want the correct reading.

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
90 GMC 454 the gauge works right all the time untill now it has never moved except for 30-45 psi depnding on speed, usally on the highway it goes up not down

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow. Someone smarter than you? I just don't believe it.

are you kiding me I dumb as a box of rocks, have you tried to read my post b4:poke:

thats why i married she was smarter then me that why I got her drunk to say yes

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that you had to get my wife drunk to say yes or I dumb as a box of rocks:confused:

:sonicjay::sonicjay:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Ford (at least when I still worked automotive) had a real pressure guage, but they put a resistor on the guage to keep it at the center, and then used a switch instead of a sensor...the good thing about this setup is, you can easily replace the switch with a regular sensor, and then cut the resistor off of the guage, and not have to replace any wiring or anything else...the bad thing is, you've lost an engine before you find this out (at least I did)

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
scramblerman, are you a caveman, or do you just talk like one?

·
USMC
1,379 Posts
About a year ago a guy I worked with started his truck and noticed he had no oil pressure. Pissed because he just bought it he had a it towed to the dealer. They called him later that day and said his truck was ready. So he goes to pick it up and they told him they found nothing wrong. He jumps in his truck and on the way out of the parking lot he notices he has no oil pressure. Now he is really pissed and demands to see the service manager. So after a couple minutes the manager calms him down and they walk out to his truck . Phil jumps in and fires up the truck and says " see no oil pressure" . The manager says " Sir that is your temperature gauge,there is your oil pressure gauge" I am sure the guys at the dealer still laugh to this day.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
oil light on in the car and man asks wife didnt you think that that was a problem wife said well i thought that if something was wrong the light would get brighter lmao

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
oil light on in the car and man asks wife didnt you think that that was a problem wife said well i thought that if something was wrong the light would get brighter lmao

that line was on the TV series Home Improvement years ago...

"I thought the light would get brighter or it would start dinging or something"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts