Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for an end all toolbox. Something that I can have for the rest of my life and allow me to expand my tool collection non stop for the next 40 years. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've actually heard good things about the Harbor Freight US General boxes as long as you aren't trying to make your living from it and use it every single day.

Thinking of taking out the back counter in my garage (have an old kitchen sink counter w/ cabinets there now) and replacing it with a 72" Cabinet. Specifically been looking at this one

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabinets/72-in-18-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-61656.html

Anyone have any suggestions? I think it'd work out pretty well for the occasional use that it'll see, but it'll allow me enough space to put everything I own in it and still use the top as a work space.

Opinions?

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
One of the guys at the shop has the one that is smaller than that, I think it is the 56" 11 drawer model. Seems to be holding up well after a year.

·
Hang all the thieves
1,758 Posts
My older brother bought one a few years back, seems to be a good unit. Never heard him say anything negative about it. His next door neighbor is a Snap-On dealer too.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just don't want to pay the Snap On prices, or the Matco prics, they're ridiculous for what they are. I feel like you pay for the convenience of the truck pulling up to your door rather than for the quality of the box.

·
Hang all the thieves
1,758 Posts
That's part of it. The financing off the truck for one of those is rediculous. The only way to get a halfway decent price on a tool truck brand, is to have the cash on hand to get a nice used one off c-list. Like what's been said above, the US General stuff seems to hold up pretty well for home shop use.

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
I am a mechanic and have been for 10 years now. I have a matco box at work and a general hf box at home. My box at work is nicer but I will never buy another new box from a tool truck again. I don't know if the newer boxes are deeper but that's the only problem I have with mine at home. Its only like 18" deep or so. Mine at work is 25". That's the only thing I like better. I would either go with a harbor freight or buy a name brand box from craigslist or something.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Alot if guys at the shop I work at have been buying masterforce from menards. My next box at home will be one of these, very solid and a reasonable price. Much better than my craftsmen box I have at home now

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Tools for the next 40 years... Better buy two of the 72" boxes. you will be surprised how fast you fill them. I have a 40" top, middle, bottom. A 36" top and bottom, and another 36" top. All full of tools. I have been thinking of getting a large bottom and consolidating. Just have to remember not to let the top turn into a catch all.

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
Tools for the next 40 years... Better buy two of the 72" boxes. you will be surprised how fast you fill them. I have a 40" top, middle, bottom. A 36" top and bottom, and another 36" top. All full of tools. I have been thinking of getting a large bottom and consolidating. Just have to remember not to let the top turn into a catch all.
I have 5 boxes, at least 2 have become 'random storage' :teehee:

·
Live Action!
15,748 Posts
You can score some pretty good deals on Snap On and Matco, etc. on craigslist or used to be able to, I haven't been on there looking for tools in a couple years.

But I do use a tool cart every day at work from Harbor Freight and it has not disappointed me one bit, it only cost $99, sure my Matco one is nicer and heavier duty but don't beat the shit out of your stuff and it will last.

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
You can score some pretty good deals on Snap On and Matco, etc. on craigslist or used to be able to, I haven't been on there looking for tool in a couple years.

But I do use a tool cart every day at work from Harbor Freight and it has not disappointed me one bit, it only cost $99, sure my Matco one is nicer and heavier duty but don't beat the shit out of your stuff and it will last.
That there is kinda funny on a wheeling site. :sonicjay:

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My general theory is that as long as you don't use their fasteners there stuff lasts pretty well. Just upgrade to some nylock nuts and most of their stuff will do well

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Expensive tool box's (snap on, matco, ect) are the biggest waste of money there is. Remember, the tool box will never make you money, help remove a stubborn part, get a motor running, or anything else of usefulness....the tools inside are what counts. I wrench for a living and i rock the harbor freight box full of snapon tools. My box is way over loaded and gets drug all over the shop....has for 3+ years and still functions 100% and i can buy 9 more and still be cheaper than a big name.

·
the ocean called
10,281 Posts
Another vote for a CL tool truck branded box deal. They're out there. If that's still too far out of your budget, you probably can't go wrong with a HF box for the money. I'm sure more people can vouch for them, but it already sounds like one would be a good buy.

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
My comment was directed at buying a new tool truck brand box, scoring one off cl is a different deal

1 - 20 of 72 Posts