Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
UPPER('4x4') = '$X$'
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 4Runner 22RE automagic. I have been chasing an intermittent, warm engine, no-start gremlin for over a year now. Today I discovered that if I bleed the fuel pressure out of the system by cracking open the cold start injector, the truck will fire right up. Today the issue was not that intermittent and I got to try to try this three times and it worked all three times.

Is it possible to have too much fuel pressure?

Background: fresh rebuild with < 5000 miles, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, circuit open relay, swapped AFMs, ECUs, and a couple other things I cannot relate to fuel.

Thanks in advance

·
UPPER('4x4') = '$X$'
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This turned out to be bad wiring. 22RE injectors are batch powered. 1 and 3, then 2 and 4 come off the same power wire. This wire is spliced to branch to the two injectors. The 1 and 3 splice was corroded. Bleeding the pressure off of the system lowered the resistance necessary to start the engine and therefore the injector would fire at lower power.

I pulled the upper intake and stripped the harness back to the splices. One was like brand new and the other looked like it came off the titanic.

Half a day and it's running better than it ever has.

I have a 1988 4Runner 22RE automagic. I have been chasing an intermittent, warm engine, no-start gremlin for over a year now. Today I discovered that if I bleed the fuel pressure out of the system by cracking open the cold start injector, the truck will fire right up. Today the issue was not that intermittent and I got to try to try this three times and it worked all three times.

Is it possible to have too much fuel pressure?

Background: fresh rebuild with < 5000 miles, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, circuit open relay, swapped AFMs, ECUs, and a couple other things I cannot relate to fuel.

Thanks in advance

1 - 3 of 3 Posts