Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
I bought my dad an older model TomTom for Christmas last year and he has gotten a lot of use out of it. He uses it for his job...delivering emergency "items" between hospitals in the Denver, CO. area...and as far as Kansas too. Awesome for road navigation. And many of the 2-tracks are on it too.

I use a Garmin Zumo 550 on my motorcycle and in my Jeep and it also shows most of the 2-tracks and such. On my motorcycle it is bluetoothed to my cell phone and Scala Rider headset. In my Jeep it is plugged into the MP3 port on my stereo. I hear the prompts over my stereo...and listen to MP3s uploaded into my Zumo. Can also hear phone calls over my stereo.

When you get the newer units like the 730 they come with all the bells and whistles. Voice turn by turn prompts. Bluetooth connectivity with your cell phones and headsets. Subscription services for navigation and weather...will autoroute you around construction areas automatically and tell you what to expect. Ability to upload MP3s into it. Pretty awesome stuff. You will like it.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Got the Garmin Nuvi 750, it's absolutelt amazing!

Although it cannot do what needs to be done for trail use, or hiking or fishing. But for traveling, it's awesome.
X2 Garmin 760 here

Last week my fiance took a trip to an obsecure ice rink in petoskey for a hockey tourney. She said that her and another guy with a garmin were the only two who got there with no issues, everyone else had tom toms and had issues. By no means is this a scientific study but food for thought.

·
Geocacher!!!!!!!!!!
2,730 Posts
GARMIN!!!!!!
I got the Nuvi 250.
All the basics, none of the extras you don't need.
$175 refurbished off ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I got one last November and had speaker problems, the voice will cut out and sometimes stop completely. I got a new one and its doing the same thing now. I never have it over 80% volume and don't play music through it, just normal turn by turn directions.

I do love everything else about it though, my girlfriend likes it better then her Garmin.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a TOM TOM and we have used it to get to my sisters house in North Carolina and it worked flawlessly. Mine does turn by turn prompts, it even tells you what road to turn onto and shows how far that road is from your current position. My Dad also has one but his is the very basic model and it has confused him once or twice, but overall he likes it alot. At first when i said I wanted one my wife gave me grief but now she has used it several times to get to places she has never been before.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts