Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I go to the local "brand name" tire place at lunch to have my 33" Mickey's balanced. (needed to get the tires taken care of, and have lunch time entertainment as well)

So I'm standing in the Lobby, an overheard a Tech tell a young lady that she needed all 4 wheels aligned on her vehicle, but that they would cut her a break and only charge her $69 instead of $89 because her vehicle was rear wheel drive...........................This peaked my interest...........She Owned a 1998 Dodge 1500 Ram PU.

Okay, maybe I'm not the best mechanic in the World, but how do you align the rear axle on a 2 wheel drive PU without a welder and a torch :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay:

Oh and later I was told that my right rear gas shock was leaking fluid, and that I had a awesome "body" lift on my XJ..........:sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay:

I love you guys, keep up the good work, I wanna borrow 1x1speedcraigs tug and bring it down there for grins and giggles.

·
One shot, One Kill
462 Posts
sounds like Belle tire. The one on Alpine tried to feed me some lame thing like that once. I took my business elsewhere. BTM.

·
15,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like Belle tire. The one on Alpine tried to feed me some lame thing like that once. I took my business elsewhere. BTM.
......................................:thumb: ..........................................

Although, somehow they did manage to balance those old tires:tonka:

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Okay, maybe I'm not the best mechanic in the World, but how do you align the rear axle on a 2 wheel drive PU without a welder and a torch :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay:

Uh, you can certainly do a 4-wheel alignment on a 2wd anything that has a solid axle, leaf sprung rear. What the tech meant was that they couldn't align the rear axle to the frame since its a fixed suspension, but they can still align the front wheels to the rear which is half the job. If you don't do this, your vehicle won't travel in a straight line down the road, regardless of where the body/frame is facing. A 2-wheel alignment is simply aligning the front wheels to each other.

I think you would have been the entertainment if you had said something. :tonka:

·
15,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh, you can certainly do a 4-wheel alignment on a 2wd anything that has a solid axle, leaf sprung rear. What the tech meant was that they couldn't align the rear axle to the frame since its a fixed suspension, but they can still align the front wheels to the rear which is half the job. If you don't do this, your vehicle won't travel in a straight line down the road, regardless of where the body/frame is facing. A 2-wheel alignment is simply aligning the front wheels to each other.

I think you would have been the entertainment if you had said something. :tonka:
I thought this was standard in the 2 wheel alignment.................aaaaaahhhhhhhhh, like I said, I'm not the best Mechanic in the world.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
I thought this was standard in the 2 wheel alignment.................aaaaaahhhhhhhhh, like I said, I'm not the best Mechanic in the world.
That could very well be the case in other shops. However, if all Belle has on their board is a full 4-wheel alignment for $89 and they don't offer a 2-wheel at all, then maybe the tech really was cutting her a break since there was nothing to adjust in the rear. That doesn't mean that price still didn't suck, though. :sonicjay:

42,950 Posts
That could very well be the case in other shops. However, if all Belle has on their board is a full 4-wheel alignment for $89 and they don't offer a 2-wheel at all, then maybe the tech really was cutting her a break since there was nothing to adjust in the rear. That doesn't mean that price still didn't suck, though. :sonicjay:
with koz, UORC, and belle tire all bottoming out on the back of your throat, I'm surprised you can still breathe

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
can't be any worse than the "big name chain tire store" tech getting in my jeep that has no designation for the trans shifter positions (who needs one)
can't figure out how to work the pro-stick. gets out of vehicle and asks what type of tranny I have. "turbo 350" I replied. tech gets back into vehicle comes back and says "how do you have to shift the manual sticks" "what?" I reply.
"you have three shifters, 1 auto & two manual" (referring to the 300 twinsticks) "just use the one with the 8 ball on it and forget the rest" I say.
few minutes later tech comes back in your trans is screwed sir cause I can't
get the shifter to move". me "have a nice day" get in jeep and drive away. 45 minutes of wasted time and still no balanced tires.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
with koz, UORC, and belle tire all bottoming out on the back of your throat, I'm surprised you can still breathe

Hey, its money in my pocket. Better than taking $24,000 in the ass on a YJ build like you. :sonicjay:

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
:sonicjay: :sonicjay:

I'm actually getting tired of ripping on you. maybe I should just stop. :sonicjay:

That's because doing this:
will eventually wear you down. :tonka:

You have to be over $25k now with the new shafts. I don't think I have exceeded that by much on my Ram - and that's including the purchase price. :tonka:

$32,000-$17,000 trade for a vehicle I got for free = $15,000 + (-$25,000) = $10,000

Well, maybe not. I don't know if the 2 sets of gears, the locker, and lift + labor over the years actually exceeded $10,000. Lifting the Ram was actually cheaper than lifting the XJ, even with relocating the rear axle. Its not done mechanically yet, so the total will definitely go up when I build the new front axle and buy more new shit. Then there's the body work... :(

42,950 Posts
That's because doing this:
will eventually wear you down. :tonka:

You have to be over $25k now with the new shafts. I don't think I have exceeded that by much on my Ram - and that's including the purchase price. :tonka:

$32,000-$17,000 trade for a vehicle I got for free = $15,000 + (-$25,000) = $10,000

Well, maybe not. I don't know if the 2 sets of gears, the locker, and lift + labor over the years actually exceeded $10,000. Lifting the Ram was actually cheaper than lifting the XJ, even with relocating the rear axle. Its not done mechanically yet, so the total will definitely go up when I build the new front axle and buy more new shit. Then there's the body work... :(

its just money. who cares

1 - 15 of 15 Posts