Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
putting 4.88's on my detroit locker for my yj dana 30.
the carrier comes out/goes in easily (don't need a pry bar to take it out, or a hammer to get it in)
the gear pattern is perfect, but i am worried that the carrier might need another shim.
should i add .002" to the carrier, so it is a bit more snug; or just call it good after i put new bearings on?? (maybe the new bearings will tighten it up a little)
like i said, the pattern is absolutely perfect, and i don't want to make the pinion mesh any deeper on the ring gear; so if i add, what side should i put the shim on??
will .002" make that much of a difference on the pattern anyway?
i can take a couple of pics tonight or tomorrow if needed.

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
putting 4.88's on my detroit locker for my yj dana 30.
the carrier comes out/goes in easily (don't need a pry bar to take it out, or a hammer to get it in)
the gear pattern is perfect, but i am worried that the carrier might need another shim.
should i add .002" to the carrier, so it is a bit more snug; or just call it good after i put new bearings on?? (maybe the new bearings will tighten it up a little)
like i said, the pattern is absolutely perfect, and i don't want to make the pinion mesh any deeper on the ring gear; so if i add, what side should i put the shim on??
will .002" make that much of a difference on the pattern anyway?
i can take a couple of pics tonight or tomorrow if needed.
Add.

When you press on the new bearings it will become looser than it is now unless you add shims. Add to both sides and it won't change the pattern.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Without a case spreader you should have to use a dead blow to get the carrier in, and pry bars to take it out.

If you can slip it in easy I would start at .005, but it may take more.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. do you mean start @ .004-.007 per side, or total??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts