Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

TJ overhaul

14K views 78 replies 12 participants last post by  aber61 
#1 ·
This is my Jeep as of today. I have 6 weeks before I am heading to Tennessee. I'm cleaning up the frame. Replacing the LT1 with an LS. Replacing the NV4500 with a 6L80. Putting in a wider front axle. Changing the steering setup. Changing the front suspension.

Wish me luck!

Water Vehicle Tree Car

Sent from here !

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
I changed my steering assist cylinder location. This will allow me another 3" of compression before it collides with the track bar. Also the bracket used to be detachable; I went ahead and welded it to the cover. It will be the same PITA either way.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Been a few years so

I’m about to start another major rebuild of my Jeep TJ. Main reason for the build is to replace my totally rusted out TJ tub with an LJ tub. As with everything Jeep if you’re going to do 1 thing you might as well do 8.

Current Jeep configuration / Proposed Changes
• 1997 TJ Wrangler / 2006 LJ Tub w/Artec back half frame stretch kit
• Adding body & corner armor
• LY6 GM 6.0L Engine
• 6L80 Transmission
• NP241 HD Transfer Case / Atlas 3.0
• PSC Steering box w/ assist cylinder
• 100” WB Front 2.5” forward – Rear 4” back / 112” WB Front 4.5” forward – Rear 14” back
• Rubicon radius arms front – 4-link rear
• ORI 10” Front 300psi Upper – 90psi Lower / King 2.5 14” Coilover shock
• 4.5” up - 5.5” down travel / 5” up – 8” down travel
• 3.5” TJ coil spring & King 2.0 Air shock 100psi / King 2.5 14” Coilover shock
• 2.0 3” bumpstop rear 80psi / Add bump stops to front
• NO sway bar / Add sway bar to front axle
• Dana 60’s Front & Rear full width / 14” rear Shaved
• 8274 Winch
• Poison Spyder front cage kit
• 42” 14/42-17 IROC Bias – road, trail, sand, snow
• 42” 42 X14.50R20 BFG Krawler – Offroad parks, East Tennessee
• Inner Air Locks inside each set’s wheels

Attachments

Discussion starter · #6 ·
"Why the move from ORI to coil over?"

I've been real happy with the ORI's. I think I'm too heavy for them 6200#s.
They are the best for climbing and crawling.

I'm working for a better ride on the trails Up North where we experience the moguls from winter snowmobile traffic and a little more speed thru the bumps at Silver Lake. Also the "I didn't see that coming"on the roads between the trails at Windrock.

I do expect some sacrifices in climbing.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
You guys are correct does not weigh 6200#s

Just got back from CAT scales.
Nearly empty fuel tank, no tools, parts, cooler or wife 5100#s.
Bad memory most have been 5200 when I weighed it last.

Was surprised on the balance. 2800 front 2300 rear, add tools etc in the rear and will be fairly balanced.

Thanks for pushing me to get the correct information.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
You paid premo dollars for that tub! Can I get some insight on what you do for a living so I can start doing it too! :) Cool build! I am getting closer and closer to a mid life crisis which involves a LJ.
It's not so much what I do, it's of where I'm at in life. I'm old and back to that dual income no kids, no payments part of life. Yes I've gone stupid on this build, but it's probably my last build in this life so I'm all in.

Looking for something more comfortable, quieter, cleaner.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Progress report

Everything has been ordered. Still waiting on the frame back half kit etc from Artec. Ordered mid January, disappointed parts aren't here yet.

Plan is to remove old tub this weekend. If parts show up will cut frame soon.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Heavy duty stainless steel hardware cloth, with u-molding glued in using autobody adhesive. Ended up larger than what I wanted. Had too many cocktails that night so needed to adjust the next morning upon sober review.
Forgot the Pics.

Bonus feature easier to see should one forget to latch hood before highway speeds. I was doing about 60 when this happened.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Looks good. I keep looking around at options for mine. Want to get rid of some underhood heat.

LOL at the hood window!!!! Way to get that reverse engineering going on... :)
I tried side vents etc. this solution finally helped. Under hood heat cost HP. My intake temps were approaching 200 degrees before this fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Today
Starting to think that I enjoy owning a “project” more than driving a JEEP.

Going on 2 years now.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

This past fall
Body is done and at paint shop. Frame is getting close. Front bump stops and etc. up there are slowing me down.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
It is gonna be awesome when you get it done!!!!!
I hope so!
It's been a lot of work, all though I've been taking my time and enjoying it. With my wife at my side and cocktail in hand.

Funny thing, the only pieces left from the "original" jeep will be the center portion of the rollbar and the front 6' of the frame rails minus the crossmember.