Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CRANES ARE COOL
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the TJ to mounds Sat. stuck it in water hole, was in hole app. 10 min. see mounds pics. posted this past Sat, on way home all seemed ok then started to whine some around transfer case area? mostly whines when under load, also on drive to work today noticed no heat build up inside truck above transfer case like I used to get when it did not whine, I may get chance to get it in the air tonight to check it out, any ideas what it could be? what should I check on it THANKS newbie with a noise

·
Gnarley Davidson
3,520 Posts
driveshaft ujoints. had the same problem. other than that it could be the t-case bearings but i doubt it.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
How deep was the water?

If it got into something (transmission, axles, transfer case, wheel bearings, etc), then those bearings could be trashed.

Might be a good time to drain and replace your fluids on anything suspect.

·
CRANES ARE COOL
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tj noise

How deep was the water?

If it got into something (transmission, axles, transfer case, wheel bearings, etc), then those bearings could be trashed.

Might be a good time to drain and replace your fluids on anything suspect.
water was app. waist deep, will plan to drain and replace fluids thanks for input. Wonder why the heat build up seems gone ?? Anyone else have thoughts

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
water was app. waist deep, will plan to drain and replace fluids thanks for input. Wonder why the heat build up seems gone ?? Anyone else have thoughts
Probably mud stuffed up between the tcase and body acting as an insulator.

Or in the tcase keeping it cool. :tonka:

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
As goofy as it sounds, yeah, that mud cakes all over everything and could be acting like a big ceramic insulator..

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
Mike, did you break that jeep already? Jeez, you're worse than Drew...

or at least worse than the guy who installed Drew's lift...

Give me a call if you want some help with it.

·
CRANES ARE COOL
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike, did you break that jeep already? Jeez, you're worse than Drew...

or at least worse than the guy who installed Drew's lift...

Give me a call if you want some help with it.
Hey, thanks will let you know it is at the shop here just been to busy to give it a look.

·
Merkin salesman
1,255 Posts
Just a couple thoughts...

Broken trans mount?
OOOO, I did that one last time I was at the mounts. The xmember mounts decided to rip themselves out of my frame so everytime the rear suspension dropped down the driveshaft hit another xmember. I tied it up with rope to get me the 80 miles back home stopping 3 times on the way to tie it back up

·
CRANES ARE COOL
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well so far pulled back cover looks ok drained tans case looks ok theeeeen pulled front cover found loose bolts by arb locker (finger loose) found broken bolt in same area, will dig around more tommorrow to find head of broken bolt, also bearing seems sloppy I plan on replacing while in front diff. what else should I check, would like to get back together properly. will listen to any advice THANKS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts