Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a MML and BL on my wife's 04 LJ a few weeks back. Following the instructions with the BL, I installed the t-case shifter relocation bracket. It went into 4HI without issue, never checked 4LO. This weekend at the Badlands, I needed 4LO and the shifter would not cooperate. We spent an hour or two moving things around, adding/removing washers etc, but the top link keeps catching on the relocation bracket as the transfer arm rotates around the shaft. The only thing I didn't try was bending the linkage or removing the correction braket entirely. With the MML lifting the t-case part way back up to the body, can I get away with using the stock mounting points?

By the way, nothing against the folks at Daystar, but I want my nice quiet, soft rubber bushings back in my motor mounts.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I never relocated my t-case shift linkage, either when I added the Body lift/ mml, or when I added the bellyup.

·
Go lil yellow Roobicon...
1,960 Posts
I never relocated my t-case shift linkage, either when I added the Body lift/ mml, or when I added the bellyup.
x2
and you can always put spacers under your factory motor mounts so that vibration is a non-issue.

I did bl,mml and belly up all at once. BL first, then the MML, finally the skid. I left the t-case skid bolts that go to frame, and the t-case mount to skid "loose"..maybe 1/8 away from tightening. I started the jeep, backed up, pulled forward, then repeated while in 4-low. I just moved it a couple feet, let it run for a few minutes to warm up, revved up the engine a bit. Then I shut it off and tightened up those bolts and nuts from underneath.

It took a little pull that first time going into 4-low when I did this in the driveway, almost didn't go, but that was 2 years ago, and many miles in 4-low since. Working flawlessly.

This "suggestion" came from jerry at jeepmedicfabrication. I have no binding, no relocate brackets, and no problems. Performance Accys. 1"body lift

HTH:beer:

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking you meant something to cushion the Daystar mounts I already have. Just a spacer block and longer bolts? Would have been cheaper and less vibration.

·
Go lil yellow Roobicon...
1,960 Posts
I was thinking you meant something to cushion the Daystar mounts I already have. Just a spacer block and longer bolts? Would have been cheaper and less vibration.
Well it's actually a little more that longer bolts because there are studs that welded to the frame, you have to extend those. I work at a machine shop so it was an easy thing, ,but I would recommend just getting the JKS spacers and putting your factory mounts back on if the vibe bothers you that much.

I've also read that MORE makes 1" MML mounts in both a poly and a rubber I think. I've read about the poly ones having vibes, but not so bad on the rubber. Mounts are also going to be money than the JKS spacers you can get for well under $100.00.

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
I have the MORE MML. Can't remember if they're rubber or poly... no vibes.

Did you ever get your 4LO thing figured out? What MORE suggested with my 1" BL was to grind down a certain part of the linkage that caused interference when trying to shift into 4LO. It's kind of a pain in the ass. I can't remember the exact name of the piece... if you never figured that out, I'll try to get more specific.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't had a chance to work on it since we got back - but I think I am going to try eliminating the drop bracket first before grinding or bending the linkage. That whole linkage setup on the TJs must have been designed by the same guy who thought Torx bolts were a good idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts