Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
GONE COMMANDO
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago i put a rough country 4" lift on the tj. As soon as i put it on and drove it, i hated it. The springs are way to stiff and the ride sucks. Feels like riding in cj. I want to maintain my lift but would like that coil spring feel back. Id like a softer ride but I understand that adding lift coils will make the suspension stiffer. THere has to be a softer riding spring that you guys may know of that I could try.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Tera 3" or 4" The n3" is probably as tall as your 4" and a much better ride, as well.

·
GONE COMMANDO
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shocks not the problem changed those to monroe gas magnums. Ride quality a little better but still very stiff.

I ordered the old man emu 4" springs. We'll see how they do. ANyone want to buy some 4'' lift springs? Hehe

·
Premium Member
8,920 Posts
Altough I do not know from experience, I have heard many times that they are called "Rough" Country for a very good reason.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I went with a used rough country 4" lift spring and a BDS shock and I love the ride. I wouldn't say it's a rough ride at all. BDS make a great shock.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The gas shocks are stiffer than hydros that come with the basic kit. I replaced mine with Skyjacker hydros, smoothing out the harsh hits on pavement seams that are buckling up like weeds lately, but it still is stiff. Lift a suspension 5+" on short arms and the angles pretty much assure it.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,694 Posts
gas shocks and coils dont mix. Running gas shocks with coils is like 2 opposite forces fighting each other. Oil shocks will give the best ride with coils. Hands down.
Good to know.

For the newbies:

gas=gas
oil=hydro

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
With the gas shocks that came with my X kit(with arms), you could not tell if you were disconnected in front, they were that stiff. Changing to hydros, the Jeep flexes fully as it should and you better not be disco'd on the street

1 - 16 of 16 Posts