Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I <3 2get high.. centered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another newbie here... Curious to your opinion on how to get from my stock LJ to where I think I want to be in a few years.

I have a Stock 2005 LJ, 41k mi, 31" Goodyears which are almost worn out. It's a daily driver, trail ridden 1 or 2 weekends a month. I plan to continue to use the Jeep in this capacity for another 3-4 years. I figure it'll have over 100k on it by then. Once the Jeep is no longer a daily driver, I would like to build it into a decent trail / rock rig. Over the next few years, I'm sure my plan will evolve, but right now I think I'd want a long arm lift kit, 35's (maybe 38's?) on beadlocks, front and rear lockers, lower ratio transfer case... Might stick in a V8 when the stock 6 gets old...

So here's my question... I'm torn on the best way / order to go about this.. I would like to improve the off road ability of the Jeep, but am also weary about having to upgrade my upgrades as the project moves forward. It seems like a waste..

Any advise? If I were to go out and buy a small lift and get the Jeep on 33's, would I be able to sell the kit when I lifted it again? Is it worth sticking a locker in my stock rear if I'm going to end up having to upgrade it? Body lift - now, later, never? How about wheels and tires? And so on..

So, if it were your money, where would you put it first?

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I would go by train- you get to see the country and relax at the same time.

A little pricey, however...

·
M-22
690 Posts
Susp. -Long arm lift (5"-6") RE, Clayton, FT, Nth...whatever they are now.
Tires -35s (37s if you've got enough room, right axles & gearing)

Upgraded Axles (at least chromoly shafts on front & rear D44s with the 35s/
D60 in rear would be preferable if running 37s+)

Lockers -ARB front and rear

4:88 gears (5:13s if you've got an auto)

·
M-22
690 Posts
if you want a smaller lift with 33s right now that would be upgradeable later, I'd go with the RE 4.5" S-F short arm lift on 33s.

This combo could easily be upgraded to a 5.5" long arm lift later.

·
GVSU Jeeper
1,352 Posts
Clayons LA's
4.88 gears + Super 30, Super 44 + OX lockers
tube fenders, bumpers
37's

·
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
How big a tire can I go on the stock axles? Would you go bigger tire, no locker - or smaller tire w/ locker?

What I am really looking for here is help defining stages... I want to march the Jeep from stock to fully modified in steps.. I like the AEV high line kit allot - it's something I could do now and fit a bigger tire w/o a lift and will still be useful once I do the lift..

Thanks to everone for your help!

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
How big a tire can I go on the stock axles? Would you go bigger tire, no locker - or smaller tire w/ locker?

What I am really looking for here is help defining stages... I want to march the Jeep from stock to fully modified in steps.. I like the AEV high line kit allot - it's something I could do now and fit a bigger tire w/o a lift and will still be useful once I do the lift..

Thanks to everone for your help!
Stock axles (assuming a Dana 30 front/44 rear) would handle 35s pretty well.

35s, 4.88s, 4.5" long-arms, etc, is a good plan. Still nicely streetable.

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
open catalog, order bolt-ons, bolt parts on, wheel break repeat.

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
With the highline kit you can run 35s with a 3" lift which is pretty sweat. I'm planning on keeping my same lift and adding the AEV kit with some 37s and then we'll see how quickly I break my D44s :rock:

·
Can't Worry About It
1,070 Posts
With the highline kit you can run 35s with a 3" lift which is pretty sweat. I'm planning on keeping my same lift and adding the AEV kit with some 37s and then we'll see how quickly I break my D44s :rock:
aev says 37's with 2'' of lift :tonka: but ithink to actually use 37's you would need about 4'' lift and the highline kit.

i would build my tj 3'' susp. lift, 1.25'' body lift, tummy tucker from 33 engineering, and 33's. with the appropriate gears of 4.10 - 4.88 depending on what engine you havem or how much offraod use it gets.

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
first cage, winch, full skids, after market bumpers, body protection, then Clayton 4" long arm, 4.88's with arb's chromo shafts front and rear, 35" TruXus Mt's

5,476 Posts
aev says 37's with 2'' of lift :tonka: but ithink to actually use 37's you would need about 4'' lift and the highline kit.

i would build my tj 3'' susp. lift, 1.25'' body lift, tummy tucker from 33 engineering, and 33's. with the appropriate gears of 4.10 - 4.88 depending on what engine you havem or how much offraod use it gets.

you really only need 4.5"-5"s of lift to run 37"s on a TJ with some fender cutting to let the tire stuff better.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
3-4" lift, 33-34" tires, 4:10's, rear lunchbox locker, winch, add on front cage, OBA, and recovery equipment.

I guess I'm just one of those people that doesn't like to waste money on stuff that is mostly pointless for just getting out every other weekend. I have wheeled a lot and never used anything bigger than 33's(yet). You can go almost anywhere if you learn to drive and pick the right lines. You won't be able to do all of the hard stuff but you won't be compromising your daily drivers highway manners either.

·
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How about getting some extra power out of the 4.0? I found Edge's Trail Jammer with a look around the net.. It's a kit that come with a chip, a high flow air cleaner and a larger throttle body.. anyone ever run it or have any other suggestions?

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
3-4" lift, 33-34" tires, 4:10's, rear lunchbox locker, winch, add on front cage, OBA, and recovery equipment.

I guess I'm just one of those people that doesn't like to waste money on stuff that is mostly pointless for just getting out every other weekend. I have wheeled a lot and never used anything bigger than 33's(yet). You can go almost anywhere if you learn to drive and pick the right lines. You won't be able to do all of the hard stuff but you won't be compromising your daily drivers highway manners either.
Mark this day in history. I actually agree with Motor Slut. :eek: :tonka: BTW, jbro507, I'm another Grand Rapids-area Unlimited owner (among a couple other Jeeps). :thumb:

Craig

1 - 20 of 25 Posts