Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 TJ with the 4.0 is acting funny.

When the outside temp is in the mid 90's the engine runs hot and if I stop moving for long it goes into the red if it is cooler there is no problem.

Also, I have no heat from my heater even when the engine is at operating temp.

I recently flushed the whole system, installed a new water pump, thermostat (195) and the fan clutch is working normally.

Someone suggested it may be the heater core.

Any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
605 Posts
To tell if it's the heater core, when the engine is up to temp, feel the two 3/4 inch hoses that go to and come from the heater core. If they are both hot, it's probably not the core. If one is cold then the heater core is plugged. Just my .02

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
sounds like trapped air. you may well have a pocket that is blocking the flow, try pulling the rig up an incline and while cool and run it. then see if it drops the radiator level.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,110 Posts
A plugged heater core could definitely cause the no heat problem, but I don't see that causing the overheating while stopped problem.

Thats usually caused by a bad fan clutch or mud on the radiator.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
sounds like trapped air. you may well have a pocket that is blocking the flow, try pulling the rig up an incline and while cool and run it. then see if it drops the radiator level.
I agree with this. Had a similar issue with an XJ and that was the problem was trapped air

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have heat!

A quick look under my dash revealed my lack of heat. The cable that runs from the dash control popped off of a small arm under the dash. I reconnected it and had instant heat!

I did park the jeep on an incline to try and purge out any trapped air that may have caused my overheating problem but I will not know if it made a difference until it gets into the mid 90's. I might have to wait until next year with this weather.

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts