Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9in rear and a dana44 front out of a 72 bronco under my yj and I am having a hard time deciding between 38's or just jumping rite to the 40's I'm wondering if 40 in tires are just to big for those axles or not?

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,895 Posts
There's only a 5% difference in size between the two. Likely not going to matter. I suggest investing in some upgraded shafts and joints though, spend the money where it counts.

Also what are you geared for?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm chrome alloy shaft all 4 corners and 4.88 gears rear spool and true track front locker soon I've read that 38in is the max you want to run on a 44 but I'm not a lead foot offroader most of the time lol so I figured I'd be ok just wanted some Advice and experience to help make the decision

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,125 Posts
Been there/done that. Running a 38 on that combo is not a matter of "if" you will break it but "when". 35-36" is pretty safe, a 37" it getting dangerous. Leverage is a killer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was my fear and also y I want to run tall but narrow to reduce the weight but yet have clearance thanks

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I couldn't keep my dana 44 together with chromoly's and 35s. Broke 3 chromoly shafts before finally throwing in the towel on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been running 36x13.50 IROKS only thing I broke was my ratchet locker only reason I was considering a bigger tire was to fill my wheel well the jeep is so high I have two options go bigger tire or lower jeep lol of course I was leaning towards bigger is better lol

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,490 Posts
To me, stepping over 35 inch tires means going to tons. I also do not really like fixing shit all of the time....

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,125 Posts
What is your end game? Hard wheeling/ rocks = 40's and tons. Light wheeling/ happy with what you have = you have a good set of axles. If you are happy, lower your COG. Spend the money on linking it instead of bigger, bigger, bigger.

I went from 30/35 to 44/9" to 60/ 35 spline 9". For me, the middle step was a waste of time and money. But since you are already there, do some soul searching. If you are happy, refine what you have.

My son in law is in a similar situation. The difference for him is that he has been around me for 20 years and knows where the progression can lead. Instead, he has made the decision to stay on 44's and 36" tires. IMO it's a wise decision.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Keep in mind a 44 ujoint is same size as a d30. Always gonna be the weak link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I the end I want a Dana 60 front, I do a lot of pretty rough,tight trails hardly ever touch pavement with it I trailer it most of the time. So ya if i go with the 40's ill go till I break the 44 then upgrade to a 60 and all is well lol thanks for all the advice if you got more my ears are open

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,125 Posts
Keep in mind a 44 ujoint is same size as a d30. Always gonna be the weak link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
True. However, I found that when I went to Yukon super joints in my D44, I never had another joint failure. It moved the problem to the shafts.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I never had a problem with Spicer u joints in my dana 44. The chromoly shafts would break first.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Gustafson
9,286 Posts
It is nice to see some offroad talk on an offroad forum. Good luck with your decision Hoekstram.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now I just have to decide which super swamper I want bogger, original swamper, or sx2. I'm leaning towards the sx2 Cuz those r just some sexy tires

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,125 Posts
I've had excellent luck with Iroks. They are one of the best sand and snow tire, do well in mud and are a very good (non sticky) rock tire.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I have a 9in rear and a dana44 front out of a 72 bronco under my yj and I am having a hard time deciding between 38's or just jumping rite to the 40's I'm wondering if 40 in tires are just to big for those axles or not?
35s are too big for those axles in stock form. I snap the front shafts like toothpicks with 300HP trying to spin 35s in my 73 Bronco. The rear axle is a 28 spline unit and probably has the small bearing housing. 33's is about its limit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well if that were the case I'd should of broke my Cherokee already Cuz ive been running in 35x15.50 super swampers on stock axles for 3 years but again I do right trails hills and a little mud and rock but I dnt lead foot I have a winch for that and I haven't had any trouble that's why I wondered if I could run 40's on bigger axle my personal opinion is that it depends on the wheeling you do if you can run that size tire on those axles

1 - 20 of 22 Posts