Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's time to purchase tires and I have no idea which kind to buy. I have BFG AT's on my ZR2 blazer now and I have over 60,000 miles on them and it isn't down to the wear bar yet. I purchased the AT's from Discount about 3 years ago for $425 OTD...but I probably won't get them that cheap these days. I should probably replace my spare as well, since it's on the original spare (2000).

Was given this link to help me out: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

But I really don't know. I either plan on buying at Discount, Belle Tire, or Kan Rock. I prefer to buy new for the free tire balancing and rotations (I take advantage of that since I always get my tires rotated every other oil change).

So what do you guys think? Don't know the exact size of my tires, but I know they're 31".

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
See these guys too - better selection:

http://www.tyres1.com/

Personally, stay away from Belle Tire. My experience, they will not honor a warranty even when the manufacturer agreed with the cause of damage. 4 "Experts" looked at my car and came up with 4 different answers that avoided a warranty coverage. An unbiased opinion reviled nothing wrong with my car.

·
Registered
429 Posts
See these guys too - better selection:

http://www.tyres1.com/

Personally, stay away from Belle Tire. My experience, they will not honor a warranty even when the manufacturer agreed with the cause of damage. 4 "Experts" looked at my car and came up with 4 different answers that avoided a warranty coverage. An unbiased opinion reviled nothing wrong with my car.

I second that stay away from belle tire. I have always found that they were more expensive and dont do good work. Just want your money. Ive always been really happy with discount.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I second that stay away from belle tire. I have always found that they were more expensive and dont do good work. Just want your money. Ive always been really happy with discount.
Stay away from Belle Tire, check.

What brand of tires is good? I'm looking for an A/T that will be good all season long...performs well in snow & rain.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
normally I purchase all my tires from tires international then pay at a small shop for mounting and balancing. still cheaper than any "OTD" pricing by the chain stores. if I am forced to go to a chain store this is what I do. I go to say belle tire and get a price. take a few business cards then write the tire deal on the back and take like $110 off the price then take that "adjusted" card to say discount tire and make them beat the deal. this is rare as it can be a pain in the ass to drive around.

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
Stay away from Belle Tire, check.

What brand of tires is good? I'm looking for an A/T that will be good all season long...performs well in snow & rain.
Theres a shop here in Saginaw that will beat others prices on most car tires, not sure on truck tires.

Kurtz Hillman.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
normally I purchase all my tires from tires international then pay at a small shop for mounting and balancing. still cheaper than any "OTD" pricing by the chain stores. if I am forced to go to a chain store this is what I do. I go to say belle tire and get a price. take a few business cards then write the tire deal on the back and take like $110 off the price then take that "adjusted" card to say discount tire and make them beat the deal. this is rare as it can be a pain in the ass to drive around.
That's how I got 4 BFG AT's for $425 OTD. I called Belle Tire first, asked for their best price, then called Discount. Did that about 3 or 4 different times (called back to different locations but same company) then finally settled at $425 when they said that's the lowest that they can go.

I just wasn't sure if there's a better tire out there than the BFG AT's.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
don't laugh but I got a good deal at walmart on my goodyear wranglers and their warrity is good to

·
Banned
20,292 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought a set of Nokian Vatiivas from Pit Stop Tire in Greenville. $450.00 out the door, 265-75 / 15 ( 31" ). They were designed in Finland, made in USA. only have a couple thousand on them now - quiet, good traction on two-tracks, haven't had them in mud yet ( on my DD '98 ZJ not the trail rig), supposed to be great in the snow - they look similar to a Cooper. I see a lot of them on this side of the state.

Can't say anything bad about the BFG's, but more $ .

1 - 20 of 48 Posts