Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a easy quick tip that might save some of you from late night frusteration..

If you are working on grooving your tires, and happen to break a blade(they don't last long at all), and don't have any, you can make one easy.

Take a utility knife razor blade, and cut it with a grinder to a 1/8" - 3/16" strip, then heat it orange with a torch and bend it into the correct U-shape for your cutting head.

Ends up being a little thicker than a regular blade, so it cuts a little slower, but its much stronger and will last for many tires.

Dumb tip, but it saved me from having to wait a week for blades to arrive.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tip #2- get the tires nice and hot in the sun first :thumb:
Yep. I was working at night, so I have the 500 watt halogen light 1/2" from the surface, on the blocks next to be cut.

·
Mud Slut-Hit Every Hole!!
2,470 Posts
Tip Number 3 Drink Beer

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
where is a good place to get a groover? i want to try some stuff and thought i would get one. some better then others? never really looked into them.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got my ideal knife from ebay, there are several vendors selling them there for about $65.

Thats probably fine for most people, its not the fastest or the best, bu tit works ok and its a good price. The rilfit(sp?) knives are nice, but a couple hundred bucks.

IMO, it makes a big difference in traditional swampers, I haven't seen much done with iroks, though..

On my SXs, the pattern I use really increases the carcass flexibility on rocks, and then number of grabbing edges. Was night/day on the rocks, for me. But stock SXs are pretty stiff for rockcrawling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts