Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
NO RELIGION WAT!
28,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roller bearings in place of the solid bearings in automotive engines! What a novel idea:rock:

discuss

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
hmm, i'm no engineer, but aint that idea like more than 50 years old and had been the staple of bulletproof engine design? My xs2 650 has roller bearings in the engine. That thing is a tank.

·
Do it in the mud
1,973 Posts
I heard of this before. They were having problems making a rod that would hold it and not big and heavy. Great idea tho

·
Keep on truckin
5,937 Posts
motherfucker...i had that exact idea 4 years ago and even drew up blue prints and everything...goddamn it

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
inital cost has been prohibitive

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,272 Posts
I would suspect cost is an issue along with potential space constraints. I wouldn't think weight would be an issue and I am sure tolerances are not an issue. There are roller bearings out there that are very accurate.

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
I'd be interested to see that happen. We have so many other mechanical things that are exposed to high temperatures with many little parts. I don't see any reason why they couldn't make it reliable. It just makes sense.

·
Pickup Agent
2,094 Posts
Roller or ball bearings do not have the load carrying capabilty of babbit bearings, or bushings. With conventional bearings, the load is spread out over the whole journal of the crank.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,272 Posts
Roller or ball bearings do not have the load carrying capabilty of babbit bearings, or bushings. With conventional bearings, the load is spread out over the whole journal of the crank.
Not necessarily true. Depends on a variety of things. Materials, clearances, speeds, coefficient of friction...:chiefwoohaw::chiefwoohaw:

·
can you hear the banjos?
9,797 Posts
i dont believe they will be able to make horsepower as easy and i dont see the better fuel milage because there is more rotational mass

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
MMM just think, when they go bad, they'll take all kinds of stuff with them when all those little hunks of roller break up.

·
NO RELIGION WAT!
28,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dont believe they will be able to make horsepower as easy and i dont see the better fuel milage because there is more rotational mass
I am thinking along the lines of roller rockers. Those are supposed to increase hp. Less friction equals more hp no?

·
can you hear the banjos?
9,797 Posts
true but you think it would cancel each other out due to the added rotational mass.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts