Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my tires are quickly approaching race slick tread depths and are in serious need of replacement. Since I'll be living in MI soon, I want to get a feel for what tires people are running out there since the road conditions will be far different than western WA...

The rig is a '00 Ram 3500 CTD dually 4X4. The stock size tires (which I'm fine with) are 235x85x16s. This vehicle is my daily driver and also will see a LOT of towing time pulling my jeep on a trailer. I need at least load range E tires that I can run at 60-75 psi. I currently have Michelin LTX M/Ss and have no real complaints. I don't care about how aggressive the tires look or anything like that. But, I do want a tire that hopefully will last me a while (since replacing 6 tires sucks more balls than 4 tires by a factor of 1.5), and is a good snow tire.

Discuss...

·
I'm a Newb (but not dumb)
94 Posts
My dad was running the Michelin's too and never had a complaint about them. Were about are you moving too? That may change the type of tires you'll want to run.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
Stick with your Michelin's or go with the BFG TA KO's for the West Side of the State or UP........if you are moving to the East Side, they never get any snow anyway, you can keep your slicks:sonicjay: :sonicjay:

·
15,745 Posts
BFG AT's are only load range D. Very few tire options for a the duallies.
Not any more, they now carry the 235's in E range.
What do you know, just because you drive a Dodge........just kiddin'

......actually, I think they even have it in 245 and 265 now.

·
Registered
390 Posts
My dad just got the BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO's on his truck (2003 Dodge RAM 2500 Diesel Extended Cab/Bed), which he wheels every so often, but he mainly uses the truck for work which involves traveling the country and driving 50-100k miles per year pulling a 13,000 pound 5th wheel trailer.

He loves them, and they are great when he gets to insured's houses that are on washed out/storm damaged roads, or for the occasional wheeling trip. He's also had to use them for pulling his trailer out of crappy conditions, when the camp site he's at floods or becomes mud, and they haven't let him down at all. I'd recommend them for sure.

-Brandon

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
I agree with others on sticking with the Michelins (probably the best for lasting long time), or going with the BFG ATs if you want something a bit better off of the pavement.

How many miles are people getting out of their E rated AT's on a heavy diesel truck?

·
sie sehen mich rollin ...
3,316 Posts
I loved my Firestone SteelTex I had on my suburban and on my excursion....my dads 03 super duty has them as well....they wear great, have great traction in the snow, and tow very well. not to mention they run the psi that you want. :thumb:

edit: forgot to mention, that my dads truck has roughly 40k on it now, and the tires still look brand new.

·
5,820 Posts
for what its worth i run h2 tires (bfg at's), 315/70r17s, they work "OK" in the snow. i prefer the nitto terra grapplers. i havent had a set of tires last me more than about 25k. im on the 4th set and my truck has 70k on it. :tonka:

ext cab SB 4x4 srw duramax

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How many miles are people getting out of their E rated AT's on a heavy diesel truck?

This is one of my biggest questions.

I've had friends run through BFG ATs in no time that were towing constantly, but my guess is they might have been the D rated ones... I'm sure the E rated ones at high psi will last far longer. I would just hate to go through a set in 30K.

If I can get somewhat comparable mileage out of the BFGs compared to the Michelins, I may go that route since I've chunked my Michelins horrendously just from driving on forrest service roads.

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
With the weight difference between my front axle and rear axle on my Cummins truck, I worry that rears are always going to wear quick. I can't get my pressure low enough to not wear out the center with no load. Are the duallies any better?

·
15,745 Posts
This is one of my biggest questions.

I've had friends run through BFG ATs in no time that were towing constantly, but my guess is they might have been the D rated ones... I'm sure the E rated ones at high psi will last far longer. I would just hate to go through a set in 30K.

If I can get somewhat comparable mileage out of the BFGs compared to the Michelins, I may go that route since I've chunked my Michelins horrendously just from driving on forrest service roads.
I made 45K on the Diesel with the BFG, but to be honest, I did end up breaking a couple bands in the front tires. That 7.3 liter is a heavy piece......

However, it doesn't matter what tires are on it, if my wife drives, she will melt them off in about 10K. Apparently, the motor doesn't sound right, unless the turbo is kicked in, or so I've been told.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Not any more, they now carry the 235's in E range.
What do you know, just because you drive a Dodge........just kiddin'

......actually, I think they even have it in 245 and 265 now.

They've got E's in 265, 285, 305, and 325's spread over 16, 16.5, 17, 18, 20, and 22" diameters.

BFG A/T's always gave me great performance and wear on my Ram. I'd probably still have them had I not fallen into a good deal on M/TR's, but I haven't been DDing it for a long time.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone happen to have pics of BFG ATs on a CTD Dually...?

Trying picture in my mind how they'd look in that small a size...

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What about Toyo M55s?? Lot of guys on the NW Bombers board seem to like em...

And also, if I were to go to a slightly wider and taller tire, does anyone know the max tire width(ish) that will still safely work on a standard dually application?

·
Balls Deep
4,569 Posts
not sure on the widest you can run, but i know 285's need spacers. ive had god luck with the michilins, my old desert dogs were pretty good, (i think they are a sears tire now) i had horrible luck with the steeltex's in the snow, generals seem to be pretty good, they seem to have alot of models in this size with load range E. the AT2's seem to work pretty well, but not sure how they wear. tirerack.com rates them at 8.8 out of 10 for treadwear... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...=1&x=92&y=16&manufacturer=General&RunFlat=All

1 - 20 of 33 Posts