Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Now I know, it is all in my head but that was the best turkey I have ever had!!! Mis cooked it in the oven, then we let it stand in a wormer for an hour, I squirted the white meet with a cattle syringe and then carved it up.

Food Turkey meat Toaster oven Kitchen appliance Home appliance

Food Ingredient Fluid Recipe Cooking

Food Turkey meat Hendl Drunken chicken Ingredient

Food Tableware Plate Ingredient Recipe

I will be doing turkeys again next year for sure

RBB

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,249 Posts
I think wild turkey tastes better than store bought; can only imagine how well a good, home grown turkey would taste! I feel that that farm raised turkeys are bred for size and not necessarily flavor.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Around one year later we are down to 15 birds in the freezer and it is getting close to time to place another order for chicks. looking back at this thread I am so glad I gave this a shot and would encourage anyone to give it a shot It is unbelievably rewarding growing your own meet. If you are considering trying to grow your own meet you don't need 100 acres, My coop never left my front yard the open space of grass, I used was about 50' by 80' by the time I zigzag the coop from the South to the North the grass would be ready for another "chicken trim" as I just kept moving it around.

RBB

·
Registered
804 Posts
We do egg birds. About 25 right now. It's a lot of eggs lol.
We are going to do meat birds sooner or later. Your lightweight coop idea is great. I only worry about predators being able to get under it. Obviously you didn't have a problem, but i could see how you could.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts