Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So just a quick breakdown I had 375 dollars in expenses aside from my coop and plucker as both of them will be used year after year, with 38 birds averaging around 7.5 Lbs I have $1.32 per Lb chicken with no steroids or mystery chemicals in my food. I still have 5 turkeys that helped suck down some of that 375 that I will still need to feed for the next 6 weeks before they head to the plucker also. When all of them are done I will be able to have more solid numbers. All in All, I think it was a great first run I learned a ton lost 14 birds do to shit happening, I don't think I will ever do 57 birds again but a batch of 30 looks like a better option for my setup right now. And who knows I might just do 2 or 3 batches next year.

RBB

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
And another dinner from the yard
Food Ingredient Recipe Frying pan Onion

every morning When i go out to feed the birds they are so excited to see me, until they get there food, it won't be long and these guys will be headed to freezer camp also. They are starting to get big

Bird Beak Feather Poultry Gas

RBB

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
These guys are going to be a little harder to butcher as they are such a Happy Bunch from the time I step out the door till they are stuffing food in there mouths we are barking at each other. And when I shove them over on new grass they dance around chasing bugs and barking at me.

Don't get me wrong I will still eat them!!! I am just recognizing the fact that, these ones were more fun to raise than the chickens.

RBB

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,802 Posts
That's if they don't get so big that they can't stand up. I had a 30lb white that couldn't get out of their own way.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Woke up Sunday with my daughter bouncing on me chanting "It is chicken day" So I went down stairs and grabbed a bird for the crock pot. This time I went breast side down and added about 2 cups of apple cider, that chicken was amazing. Monday night we finished it off making tacos.

Food Ingredient Recipe Tableware Frying pan

Food Ingredient Kitchen appliance Home appliance Fluid

Food Dishware Tableware Ingredient Recipe

RBB

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
So yesterday was the big day the turkeys headed off to freezer camp we had one father daughter couple want to help butcher there own mostly they watched us work but they learned a ton. I still have 2 unsold a 14 and a 24 lbs if anyone is looking for a grass fed turkey with no chemicals added.
Tree Plant Beak Fish Wildlife biologist

Window Table Wood Grass Lap

Jeans Plant Car Wheel Gesture

Ingredient Cuisine Gas Automotive tire Staple food

Food Fish Ingredient Fish products Cuisine

we quickly learned that the 14 to 16 lbs birds worked well in the plucker but the 18 to 28 lbs birds needed to be plucked by hand, and once again I still have 2 up for grabs if anyone is looking.

RBB

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So as promised the break down

We had 126lbs of turkey we will be keeping one 16 lbs. bird which left me with 110 lbs. of turkeys left over we sold them at $6 per lbs. putting $660 in the bank

Now on to the expenses I had $375 in my meet birds and $135 in the feed I gave to the turkeys after the little ones were in the freezer $30 in freezer shrink bags, and $50 each to the kids for their help, bringing my total to $640.

So after 17 weeks of feeding the birds twice a day and moving them once a day on to new grass I made $20 and after selling the turkeys I have 301lbs of bird in the freezer free and clear

To put the time invested in to perspective in the morning before work I would start my car, turn on the garden hose on my way to the coop, feed the birds from the garbage can full of feed setting on the coop, fill the water up, shut off the hose on my way to the car, and go to work, not even 5 minutes invested in the AM and when I got home from work I would repeat this process along with scooting the coop 9 feet forward in the PM. So with having the birds 119 days and around 15 minutes a day that is around 30 hours plus around 10 hours of butchering, I am in it for around 40 hours of Free time over the span of 4 months, I think I spent more time watching "how to videos" on you-tube then actually raising these birds.

I used around a half a ton of feed in this test run, I picked up 50 Lbs. bags as needed from TSC a half mile North of my house. I have since ordered a one ton pallet from the local grain supplier for about half the cost per Lb. which will help my staff make more money next year.

If you are considering trying to grow your own meet you don't need 100 acres, My coop never left my front yard the open space of grass, I used was about 50' by 80' by the time I zigzag the coop from the South to the North the grass would be ready for another "chicken trim" as I just kept moving it around

I hope this info is help full to anyone out there,

RBB

21 - 40 of 43 Posts