Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Batch # 2 just came in from the hatchery

These are meat birds you feed and water the hell out of them and in 6 to 8 weeks you send them to freezer camp. We now have around 100 birds between our egg layers and the new fluff balls.

Batch #1 came in last week and have found there way out to the coop already

These things are so tasty they even want to eat themselves

RBB

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,762 Posts
Nothing personal, but I'm glad I'm not the only one with feather-brained retarded ideas. I got somwhere between 20-40 bits of 2-legged eagle food.

·
Project Antitube
996 Posts
I usually have 3-10 egg layers at any given time for the last ten years. They're good at eating bugs. They will not eat ants or roly polys. I normally can't stand the smell let alone the taste of commercial eggs, but these glowing orange eggs are pretty good. In the summer they hardly eat any chicken feed but they're pigs in the winter. Living with a vegetarian, I don't have any interest in the nuisance of meat birds.

It does suck not being able to go barefoot in the yard due to landmines. However, they are entertaining.

Usually one gets eaten by a hawk per year, then the chickens remember to keep their eyes to the sky. The thing about hawks is they usually just eat the brain and neck.

Raccoons usually just kill and leave the chicken after dragging it off somewhere.

Mink/weasel family will usually just drink the blood.

The worst is when a racoon starts going after them. I had one raccoon that over 3 nights had systematically attacked the chicken run and eventually broke through two layers of welded 2x4 wire fence. I normally shut a guillotine style door that separates the coop from the run, but when on vacation I leave the door open. Thankfully we were getting home just as the raccoon was starting to terrorize the chickens.

I had a raccoon learn to climb up to the roof then shimmy along the soffit dangling from the J-channel until it got to a window, push the window sash down with its rear legs, then get in the coop. By the time I got there it had already decided to kill 3 of my favorite chickens. Since I have cameras in the coop that's when I learned how shitty raccoons are. It would catch the chickens, then bite them, then release, over and over for like 20 minutes before the chicken bled out. It took like 2.5 hours to before the third one died and I scared it out of the coop.

Ever since, if I see a raccoon or evidence of one being within 100' of civilization I go scorched earth on them. Usually we have 1-2 mean raccoons on the property that keep the rest away and they stay away from the house/chickens. This year has been really bad for distemper.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
I usually have 3-10 egg layers at any given time for the last ten years. They're good at eating bugs. They will not eat ants or roly polys. I normally can't stand the smell let alone the taste of commercial eggs, but these glowing orange eggs are pretty good. In the summer they hardly eat any chicken feed but they're pigs in the winter. Living with a vegetarian, I don't have any interest in the nuisance of meat birds.

It does suck not being able to go barefoot in the yard due to landmines. However, they are entertaining.

Usually one gets eaten by a hawk per year, then the chickens remember to keep their eyes to the sky. The thing about hawks is they usually just eat the brain and neck.

Raccoons usually just kill and leave the chicken after dragging it off somewhere.

The worst is when a racoon starts going after them. I had one raccoon that over 3 nights had systematically attacked the chicken run and eventually broke through two layers of welded 2x4 wire fence. I normally shut a guillotine style door that separates the coop from the run, but when on vacation I leave the door open. Thankfully we were getting home just as the raccoon was starting to terrorize the chickens.

I had a raccoon learn to climb up to the roof then shimmy along the soffit dangling from the J-channel until it got to a window, push the window sash down with its rear legs, then get in the coop. By the time I got there it had already decided to kill 3 of my favorite chickens. Since I have cameras in the coop that's when I learned how shitty raccoons are. It would catch the chickens, then bite them, then release, over and over for like 20 minutes before the chicken bled out. It took like 2.5 hours to before the third one died and I scared it out of the coop.

Ever since, if I see a raccoon or evidence of one being within 100' of civilization I go scorched earth on them. Usually we have 1-2 mean raccoons on the property that keep the rest away and they stay away from the house/chickens. This year has been really bad for distemper.
So I'm thinking you don't trap them then?

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,110 Posts
Looks more birdbrained an harebrained to me.:unsure:

·
3,762 Posts

Sounds about the same here. I had 8 brand new ones varying egg laying breeds, Now I got 3 due to eagles and raccoons. I didn't realize how much the eagle population has re-bounded since I moved to the UP a year ago last may I see 2-3 a day. Pretty sure one got my big peking duck as there are feathers all over the yard. We don't have a real big coyote problem here, so its the only thing that makes sense.

·
3,762 Posts
yea I know what you mean. I see that and I'm glad I don't have that problem.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well they out grew their nesting box so this weekend the egg birds got evicted from the back room of the coop to allow the meeties to take over the back half.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes they do!! it is unbelievable how fast they grow look at what one week will get you

Got a chance to play "glue and stick" this weekend, I still need to add the mesh to the sides and it will be all ready to be there home for there last 4 weeks before they head off to freezer camp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts