Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Titles are over rated
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I am thinking about buying a jeep, and found this one.

(Before you go looking for it, its not in the midwest, I moved out of state)

I am concerned that he has replaced a lot of front end parts what was he chasing?
Did he find it?
The sway bar is missing and the front drive shaft is out (needs u joints).
He said it does nog wobble at freeway speeds, but has a "good shake" when hitting a pothole or RR tracks at 30mph. Is that just from the missing sway bar?

he says 2 inches of the lift is body.

THE AD:

I have a 97 jeep wrangler 4cyl/5speed with 101,000 miles runs good. Just replaced the whole front end still have receipts, The jeep needs a few things like a top and a sway bar in the front but beside that its pretty solid i drive it daily! as far as the mods ive done are front and rear bumper, tube fenders, aftermarket orfab front roll bar and im sure there's more. The jeep does have a locked rear and is lifted 7 inches on 36" super swampers .... Really not looking to sale but trade for a truck so shoot me offers the worst i can say is no! clean title in hand thank

what questions should I have, what areas do i need to really look at it?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Attachments

·
FORMER BULLET CATCHER
10,279 Posts
Whats the asking price?

4 banger with that kinda lift and tires, is probably a dog.

·
the ocean called
10,281 Posts
It will be a dog for sure, but it'll be fine if you're going have it be your driver around town sort of deal. Unless you choose not to use 5th gear, don't ever plan on wanting to go over 65-70 mph.

·
Titles are over rated
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will be a dog for sure, but it'll be fine if you're going have it be your driver around town sort of deal. Unless you choose not to use 5th gear, don't ever plan on wanting to go over 65-70 mph.
Around town on the weekends, trails rocks probably once per month or so.

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
The short arm lift has likely messed up the caster angle and he was shot gunning parts to cure death wobble.

·
FORMER BULLET CATCHER
10,279 Posts
On the ball joints (caster angle) bet the ball joints are original.

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
the front axle needs to be shimmed to get the caster back to stock spec. I am willing to bet the lift is just springs and he still has the stock arms.

·
Titles are over rated
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the guidance...... the guy didnt call me after dinner to show it.
I believe he said ball joints were replaced and it has tera flex control arms

·
Little Member
23,794 Posts
the front axle needs to be shimmed to get the caster back to stock spec. I am willing to bet the lift is just springs and he still has the stock arms.
If it's lifted as much as I read, Shims won't help it. There are eccentrics with that. Long arm that pig.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Wonder if the front shaft is out because the pinion angle is horrible with possibly stock arms.. You should be able to find a much better jeep for the price.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If those are the original axles he's running 36" tires on a locked D35. Nothing could possibly go wrong here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts