Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pick up a small boat to see if boating is for my family or not. Coworker has a 1994 with the Jet 90 in great shape he's willing to sell me for $2500. He's motivated so I'm guessing price is negotiable. I've got a wife and two young kids (3yo and 1.5 yo). Boat would be used on smaller inland lakes, one of which is pretty shallow in spots (big reason i'm thinking jet boat). The lake that it'll get used on the most is kind of weedy which worries me a bit with the jet. Uses would be basic cruising, tooling around the lake at sunset, little bit of fishing.

I have some experince with boating. My fathers girl friend used to own a small outboard powerboat and spent a few summers with it.

Not his exact boat but same year, model, and similar condition:

Sea Rayder F14

Any feedback would be helpful/appreciated.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,102 Posts
Personally I am not a big fan of jet boats.

Downsides;
- noisy
- weeds are a problem
- noisy
- slow acceleration
- difficult to pull skiers
- noisy
- The bigger ones are tanks and draw as much or more water as an outboard or inboard
- did I mention noisy?

Upsides;
- the small sporty twin engine ones are fun to drive
- and......... that's about the only up side I can cite.

Personally if you are looking to try out the boating scene for inland lakes, I would look for a nice runabout in the 16' range with a 90 - 115hp outboard.

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is only a 14', single engine, and not interested in pulling skiers (maybe a single tube). My budget isnt much (<$4k) and seem to be just finding older junk.

If my family enjoys it and makes time to do it I'd likely sell or find something bigger and jeep the jet boat as an oversided jetski toy

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The main lake we'll be on is a private lake, not sure how big but quite small. So I'd likely be the only boat on the lake, so not to worried about ride. But I guess all these negative comments add up to poor resale.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,884 Posts
First things first, thanks Josh for the tag.

Second, Jet boats can be a lot of fun. Everyone and their mother used to make a jet boat back in the day. Bayliner, Sea Ray, Sugar Sand...literally everyone was building them. They were all pretty much using the same power plants to. If you're looking at getting into a boat a jet boat wouldn't be a bad first option because they can be a lot of fun and they can get you out on the water for very little expense.

That being said. I would not buy a 20 year old boat and expect it to run well or be structurally sound. Chances are if he is "motivated" then there is a reason that it hasnt sold already. Fixing boats isn't cheap, ask @rmcleod (who really should be in on this conversation anyways).

Here is the NADA guide on what that boat should sell for. His price seems right around where it should be so that's a good thing. But engine condition and hull structure is going to matter a LOT.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1994/Sea-Ray-Boats/130-SEA-RAYDER__/10156334/values

If you're looking for a good used boat I can keep my eyes open for you. I work at Wilson Marine and help oversee their used boat department. Honestly you can get into a used boat for less than a cell phone payment in some cases. I have a 2013 Bayliner Element right now for about $150 a month. They really aren't that expensive honestly. But I can understand wanting to get your feet wet before jumping in.

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really appreciate that feedback.

I remember when they were starting to hit the scene and I always found them to be interesting. I was just reading up about how now everyone has dropped the smaller versions from their product lines.

I'm 100% sure his motivation comes from the fact that he doesnt use it any more. I'm not sure the last time he's run it but its been a few years since it was in the water (stored indoors). And I know it hasnt sold because he hasnt been trying to sell it. He's one of those guys with to many toys. But as far as mechanical/structural I could see it not being mechanically unreliable.

I appreciate the offer and I may shoot you at PM with what I'm looking for. I'm not really looking for a payment right now. Possibly a small one if I can convince my wife that it makes sense to spend a little more than our budget. I've got so many other toys that even I cant see making payments.

·
iamfawkinwithyou
20,723 Posts
I had one...loved it, only issue i had was the stator? Something electical is known to fail on them and not cheap to fix.

·
iamfawkinwithyou
20,723 Posts
Mine was like a big wave runner that i could bring a big cooler on lol

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 2013 Bayliner Element right now for about $150 a month. They really aren't that expensive honestly. But I can understand wanting to get your feet wet before jumping in.
of couse you had to throw that in there. that's size/features/layout is EXACTLY what I'm looking for :sonicjay:

if i end up with that jet boat and move on to something else next year that is at the top of my list

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
I think the little jet boats are great first boats. No prop or outdrive to fuck up on rocks, shallow water, etc.

Sure, the jet boats aren't great in the weeds, but no boat really is. Be mindful of it and you'll be fine.

No prop to cut your kids up on.

Stable hulls, no fancy interior parts to shiv a get about, easier to trailer, easy to get in and out of, etc.

For all out performance water skiing, you can't beat a ski boat. For family cruising on small lakes and partying you can't be a pontoon boat, for going fast you can't beat a speed boat, and for all around boating on tons of different types of water you can't beat a run about (typical I/O). For bashing and beating around and occasionally towing a tuber, doing some swimming and doing some fishing, the little jet boats aren't bad options in my opinion.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,884 Posts
of couse you had to throw that in there. that's size/features/layout is EXACTLY what I'm looking for :sonicjay:

if i end up with that jet boat and move on to something else next year that is at the top of my list
Honestly would not buy a used boat that is that old without having it checked out. Talk to @rmcleod about going through it and looking at the engine. It might cost you a little bit of money to do it, but it could save you a LOT in the long run if there is actually something wrong with it.

Regardless of what everyone else says, if it runs, it floats, and gets you on the water it's a good boat.

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts

2 things in life you can't get rid of. Aids, and Bayliner boats. I'd be hardpressed to accept a free bayliner.

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had one...loved it, only issue i had was the stator? Something electical is known to fail on them and not cheap to fix.
Honestly would not buy a used boat that is that old without having it checked out. Talk to @rmcleod about going through it and looking at the engine. It might cost you a little bit of money to do it, but it could save you a LOT in the long run if there is actually something wrong with it.

Regardless of what everyone else says, if it runs, it floats, and gets you on the water it's a good boat.
for sure. i'm in no hurry so i'd definitely be giving it a through inspection and water test. and i'm sure i could work out something with him to have it professionally inspected.

2 things in life you can't get rid of. Aids, and Bayliner boats. I'd be hardpressed to accept a free bayliner.
i've heard bad things about older bayliners but as a novice it seems like they've come a long way.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,884 Posts
for sure. i'm in no hurry so i'd definitely be giving it a through inspection and water test. and i'm sure i could work out something with him to have it professionally inspected.
Water testing is key, if you're truly interested in it. Set aside the money and wait till spring to buy it so you can take it out on the water and see if you like it.

·
bdd
2,385 Posts
First things first, thanks Josh for the tag.

Second, Jet boats can be a lot of fun. Everyone and their mother used to make a jet boat back in the day. Bayliner, Sea Ray, Sugar Sand...literally everyone was building them. They were all pretty much using the same power plants to. If you're looking at getting into a boat a jet boat wouldn't be a bad first option because they can be a lot of fun and they can get you out on the water for very little expense.

That being said. I would not buy a 20 year old boat and expect it to run well or be structurally sound. Chances are if he is "motivated" then there is a reason that it hasnt sold already. Fixing boats isn't cheap, ask @rmcleod (who really should be in on this conversation anyways).

Here is the NADA guide on what that boat should sell for. His price seems right around where it should be so that's a good thing. But engine condition and hull structure is going to matter a LOT.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1994/Sea-Ray-Boats/130-SEA-RAYDER__/10156334/values

If you're looking for a good used boat I can keep my eyes open for you. I work at Wilson Marine and help oversee their used boat department. Honestly you can get into a used boat for less than a cell phone payment in some cases. I have a 2013 Bayliner Element right now for about $150 a month. They really aren't that expensive honestly. But I can understand wanting to get your feet wet before jumping in.

I would take a 20 year old searay over any bottom liner, unless it was free.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts