Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been in the Jeep scene in a awhile. I'm thinking about buying a used Wrangler Unlimited. Any year or years to stay away from? Should I buy a Rubicon? It's primarily going to be a driver with some light off roading. Is the Jeep wave still a thing? I know when I had my TJ there was just too many other Jeep on the road and I got real tired of waving to all of them. I'm trying to stay under the $20,000 mark.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The biggest thing I found when looking at them was they recommended going for a 2012 an newer for the newer engine.

·
Red Dragons!
1,990 Posts
^^^ this. Get the 3.6 liter, not the 3.8. Check the radiator and the heater. The tanks leak on the drivers side and the heater cores plug easy. Listen to the motor as some of these have had roller bearings fail in the rocker arms. Not trying to scare you away, but I see these issues frequently.

·
Gustafson
9,597 Posts
^^^ this. Get the 3.6 liter, not the 3.8. Check the radiator and the heater. The tanks leak on the drivers side and the heater cores plug easy. Listen to the motor as some of these have had roller bearings fail in the rocker arms. Not trying to scare you away, but I see these issues frequently.
X2

·
Premium Member
5,443 Posts
I recently traded in my 2012 jku with the 3.6 that I bought new. We put 160k on it.

Issues I had.

-Oil filter adapter at 120 k. These leak, common on the 3.6
-actuator for the recirc door
-heater cores like to clog. I did a 24 hr flush with a 12v pump and clr to clear mine.
-mine enjoyed rear calipers and I went through several sets of rear pads.
-clockspring in steering wheel

The upper intake has to come off to change the spark plugs. That's the only PITA maintenance on it. I never had any major problems with mine and only popped a CEL once when the thermostat went bad.

The oil filter adapter isn't a terrible job but if you've never done it figure on 5 hours.

·
Gustafson
9,597 Posts
I recently traded in my 2012 jku with the 3.6 that I bought new. We put 160k on it.

Issues I had.

-Oil filter adapter at 120 k. These leak, common on the 3.6
-actuator for the recirc door
-heater cores like to clog. I did a 24 hr flush with a 12v pump and clr to clear mine.
-mine enjoyed rear calipers and I went through several sets of rear pads.
-clockspring in steering wheel

The upper intake has to come off to change the spark plugs. That's the only PITA maintenance on it. I never had any major problems with mine and only popped a CEL once when the thermostat went bad.

The oil filter adapter isn't a terrible job but if you've never done it figure on 5 hours.
What did you get to replace it?

·
Premium Member
5,443 Posts
How do you like the turbo 4? I would think it's pretty torquey.
It's very torquey... If you've never driven one it really surprises you from a stop, even pushing 35's. It feels a bit quicker than the 3.6. Gas mileage is horrible on the highway 70mph and up and it NEVER goes into 8th gear. Rides nice and is about as quiet as a jeep is going to get.

I'm curious what kind of lifespan the 4-banger is really going to have though. It's a Chrysler so everything is a surprise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts