Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever volunteer their dog? Wife wants to get our Husky involved and just thought I'd ask. Seems like a cool idea. Here's a link to the group U of M uses.

http://www.therapaws.org/

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We want one of ours to. But you have to take some course and get them certified first.

Yeah, I just read over the rules and application. He could easily pass all the requirements, just curious for any real life experience out there.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why dont they just team up with the humane society
Too many reasons to list. They are volunteer run so no backing to be able to adopt, train, support all those dogs. You also don't have any history behind the dogs that are there (for the most part). You could wind up with Michael Vick's old dogs and not even know it until some poor kid or grandma wound up with no face.

·
Better than Newbie
2,829 Posts
Too many reasons to list. They are volunteer run so no backing to be able to adopt, train, support all those dogs. You also don't have any history behind the dogs that are there (for the most part). You could wind up with Michael Vick's old dogs and not even know it until some poor kid or grandma wound up with no face.
meh, life is full of draw backs

·
Registered
33 Posts
Both of my dogs are "active participants". I don't mind volunteering the time. Its one of those rewarding experiences that you can look back on. Mine spend a lot of time at a nursing home. I just hope someone is as nice to me when my sorry ass ends up in one of those... i have no regrets. dogs enjoy the interaction and the old folks really get a smile.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My Dally is a Therapy dog, they must become K9 Good Citizen Certified through the AKC before being allowed to take the Therapy dog training course and test for certification from Therapy Dogs International... www.tdi-dog.org

In metro Detroit I went through SMOTC (Southern Michigan Obedience Training Club)
www.smotc.org

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I missed everyone's posts from the other day. Info is great. Wife filled out the application and just waiting to hear back. He was through obedience class years ago when I first got him. Still remembers it all too for some reason. So we will see from here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts