Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
589 Fabrication
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:sonicjay: It's hard to say that with a straight face.

Anywho, here's the new project:

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD
-2.8L CRD 4 cylinder Diesel
-5 speed auto trans
-NP242 Tcase
-Chrysler 8.25 rear axle
-Dana 30a front axle
-157,000 miles

Found this Jeep online for a great deal down in Georgia. So we made a little vacation out of it over the Fourth of July week and ran down in our, new to us, Duramax.

Being from Georgia, it's in great shape. Not a spec of rust any where on the Jeep.

Once we got it home I tore right into it. New timing belt, idlers, air box to turbo tube, air filter, serpentine belt and alternator. The Jeep already had a Green Diesel Engineering Eco tune on it. Now that it was running good I turned it into my DD. I was easily pulling 25-28 mpg with mixed driving.

Now onto the good stuff, the lift. Being my second CRD I knew buying a lift kit for $1,000-$3,000 was out of the question. So I decided to build one. I was also knew I wanted this to be a little different, I asked myself, how I can make this a little more unique?

So here's what I came up with:

2.0x5 FOX coil-overs
2.5x12x750 PAC Racing Springs
Rustys 2.5" rear lift springs
FOA 2.0x10 Emulsion shocks

To fit the FOA shocks in the rear I had a small issue. FOA shocks use a 1/2" bolt where as the factory Jeep bolts are an M12. Pretty close in size, but they had a wicked rattle. So the fix:

Take a 1/2" bolt and cut M12 threads on the lathe. I call it the Amerimetric bolt :teehee:

Now, on to the front. Since the Liberty has upper and lower control arms with a strut, putting a coilover in should be pretty easy. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Top mount:

Bottom mount, had to get creative because of the axle shaft:

Packaging wise, everything fits great. Super easy install once all the brackets were made.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Now your probably asking yourself why I put all this effort into a liberty. Why not just buy a cheap budget boost and be on my way. Well I couldn't bring myself to take the easy way out. Budget boosts ride like crap and prematurely wear components out. I also wanted the adjust-ability, shock valving and being able to adjust ride height. Now, lets let the numbers do the talking for not buying a lift like the Frankenlift.

Fox Coilovers- $370
Pac Springs- $170
Rustys springs- $130
FOA shocks-$250, but I already owned them from another project.
misc-$50

Total of $720.00-$970.00

Frankenlift is $1200.00 with no adjust-ability.

Add in the Adjust-a-strut to get the adjust-ability- $1500.00

So overall saved some money and had a good time building it.

Back to the build, I found a great deal on some GoodYear Duratracs. 265/75r16s. Mounted on the stock wheels.

And here is the finished product.

Future plans include making it actually the ultimate KJ build.

·
589 Fabrication
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Project KJ is much more ultimate than mine. The title was just some humor.

·
Registered
412 Posts
How have the cvs held up on transfercase side of the front driveshaft. I went through a couple a season with a frankenlift type lift.

·
589 Fabrication
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!

@Badphish I haven't had it offroad yet. Going up north this weekend and it will be it's first offroad adventure. But I will keep an eye on it.

·
Yooper In Training
7,059 Posts
Very cool! I had no idea you were doing that to the CRD. Nice work as always

·
589 Fabrication
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! This is just the first version of the build. As always, there is more to come.

·
589 Fabrication
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Badphish I haven't had it offroad yet. Going up north this weekend and it will be it's first offroad adventure. But I will keep an eye on it.
I kept an eye on it alright. :sonicjay:

Broke that quickly after arriving at the sand dunes. Had to race around in 2wd the rest of the time, but still had fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts