Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Time for an update.

After strengthening up the engine cage, I moved on to the radiator mount.

After the radiator was in place, we could set up the steering. The column is just some 3/4” rod that goes through self oiling bronze bushings in a tube and has a quick release steering wheel hub on the end. It’s all easily removable.

After getting the steering all made and mounted, we moved on to the B pillar X-brace. This ended up being a lot harder than we expected but in the end it came out good.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Once that was done, we moved on to mounting the pedals. Foot space is a little bit tight but it’s not terrible and will definitely work.

This picture also better shows the completed steering set up.

Once the pedals were in place, we moved on to the air intake. The intake is on backwards for a number of reasons. 1. It would have been a very tight fit/possibly impossible to fit behind the radiator with how it needed to be mounted 2. Cleaner air 3. Cooler air.

Hole cut. The line is rough but it will get cleaned up.

All finished up and mounted. We were able to use parts that we had on the shelf so that was nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Gustafson
9,822 Posts
I heard things have been happening here...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
John, been a while since you've been on! Seems like you dismantled the XJ, bought the new Jeep and haven't been around. Hopefully that means you've been out wheeling!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
A lot has happened since the last update.

I spent a couple weeks making the dash and console. This is something I will always be looking at so I really took my time and made it how I wanted it.

After the dash was done, I made a winch plate.

Obligatory picture of the weld.

Bought myself a TiG welder to mess around with.

And then rolled it outside for some pictures in the sun.

This brings us up to about late July.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #150 (Edited)
At some point the previous seat mounts I had made got bent and the holes no longer lined up so instead of trying to bend them back good enough I decided just to make new ones with a different design.

I notched the transmission tunnel so I could get the seat lower this time. I never liked how close my head was to the roll cage with the old mounts. The new mounts were fully TiG welded just for the sake of getting better with it.

I guess I never took pictures of them all done but I do have this picture from when they were mostly done which gives you a good idea of what they turned out like.

Around this time my brothers car needed some work done on the lift so we towed the jeep off to the side. This was the most it has moved since it went into the barn in July of 2017.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Then, in about mid August, it went down to full bump so I could start on the exhaust.

More pictures outside of course.

For a height reference, I’m 6’1”

Then it was time to actually start working. The passenger side going to the Y-pipe was easy and since I have never done anything like exhaust work this was a good place to start.

After that it was on to the drivers side. This one was trickier. I had to do some pie cuts to get the radius I needed. I made them bigger than I would have liked and learned a lot about what I want to do next time to make it better. But again, this is my first time building an exhaust so there were lots of lessons learned.

I fully TiG welded this as well. Most of the welds aren’t good but there’s only one way to improve.

Before I could finish working on the exhaust I wanted to get the rear sway bar in to make sure everything cleared.

This brings us to early October.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
While I was working on the exhaust, my dad started mounted the front and rear bump stops. The rears are progressive and the fronts are air bumps. The front bump pads got revisited later.

After the sway bar was in, I started working on the tailpipe. The tailpipe was interesting to make since the rear axle bumps above the floor.

It comes out of the muffler and shoots left above the passenger side upper link and then into the wheel well.

There’s maybe 1/8” of clearance to the bolt on the sway bar and about the same to the tire, but it clears. I’m really proud that I was able to get a full tailpipe on here and shouldn’t have to worry about drone since it will be my daily in the summer.

More updates to come tonight.

·
Gustafson
9,822 Posts
Post number 151 and 152 aren't showing any pictures.

It looks like you have made a lot of progress! I can't wait to see this thing move under it's own power!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Post number 151 and 152 aren't showing any pictures.

It looks like you have made a lot of progress! I can't wait to see this thing move under it's own power!
Interesting. It seems to be working on both my phone with Tapatalk and on my computer so I’m not sure what the problem is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Checking the location for bump pads.

I finally stopped putting it off and modified the floor pans to fit with the new seat mounts. They are mostly TiG welded but then I got impatient and MiG welded them toward the end.

At some time around here I ordered up the pillow block Tom Wood’s recommends. We picked up a block of steel to space it out from the frame rail and then I drilled and tapped it for bolts.

Then we started measuring for drive shafts. We ordered the front since it needs to be a two piece and then chose to cut down the old rear driveshaft from the Cherokee. It’s not welded up yet but it’s the correct length now and just needs to be welded and balanced.

Then I got on Christmas vacation so I devoted a whole day to cleaning up the shop as well as I could. It was much needed.

And then I started pulling things apart...

And then the frame fell off

Drivetrain out

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Several full days of welding later:

It’s certainly visible how much better I’ve gotten at welding by looking at the welds on the steering box mount and the skid plate for it. Still have a long way to go though.

Paint!

This was my first experience with paint so it is not great when you deliberately look at it closely, but it’s awesome from a few feet away. I used Rust-oleum gloss black.

And then switched places with the body so I could work on the roll cage.

More welds

And back in place once again.

I’ve been wanting to try the dollar store oven cleaner trick on an engine and what better time to do it than now. $4 in over cleaner later and the drivetrain is looking beautiful.

And lastly, I bought a 15” UTV cage mounting rear view mirror.

This brings us up to the week after Christmas.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Jeep looks great, I'm really liking the dash/console.

I have the same TIG welder and I have been using it regularly for 4 years or so now. The only issue being a broken flex head torch after bending too many times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Gustafson
9,822 Posts
Pics show up now.

You have made some awesome progress! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Thank you.

After the body was back on we finish welded the cage out, added some gussets, and painted it gloss black like the frame.

Powertrain back in

During the time when we were working on the frame we had Kyle at Metrofab do some work on my axles. We had him put in a new front pinion bearing and a new spindle in the rear to solve a leaking issue.

And then I did some other miscellaneous things such as finishing up patching the grill from when I shortened it.

141 - 160 of 183 Posts