Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
If you have room, add a metal strip on the inside of your tub where the riv nuts are. Make sure they're tied into the frame somehow. They don't look good after a couple trips otherwise.

Thank you for the tip. We will definitely do something to strengthen it up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
As of last weekend, marching band is officially done, meaning this project is back on track.

At some point in September we were able to get a few hours out in the barn and we cut out the rear wheel wells. We cut too far towards the back but it won’t be a problem since it will be covered by armor.



This past week we picked up a harbor freight 36” metal brake and a band saw with the Swag vertical table mount in preparation for making the floors.



After a few hours of beefing the brake up, it was ready to make some floors.



So far this week I have been able to get a good start on the floors.







More to come tomorrow


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Since we didn’t have enough steel to do the tranny tunnel or the floor pans the way we want to, we moved on to the rear fender wells and the step up to the bed.



The top half of the fender wells are not welded in yet so that is why they do not look even at the top.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Without having sheet metal to work on the floors, we decided to start on the engine cage. We put the hood on and tried to put the grill into place to know where the boundaries are.

In one of the previous renditions of the front frame, we notched the sides of the grill so it would fit between the frame rails at the correct height. With the final front frame design, the frame rails are higher, causing the grill not to fit. I was never thrilled on the notched grill and I had seen a very cool grill mod I was interested in trying.

We laid the grill on the table and marked out the cuts. If we hadn’t done the notches on the bottom this would have been simpler but it still wasn’t too hard.



Cut 3 5/8” of it out, welded it up, and smoothed out the welds.





It still needs to be cleaned up a little more but I’m very happy with how it turned out. As of right now I believe I am going to get some small 2” or 3” amber lights and fill in the existing hole but nothing is set in stone yet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
After a few weekends of work, the floors are mostly done. We are leaving the tunnel and bed pieces off to make work easier on exhaust and more bracing.

Overall, I am very happy with the outcome and am very glad that it is done. It wasn’t terrible work but it was very time consuming.








Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
Joined
·
7,815 Posts
After a few weekends of work, the floors are mostly done. We are leaving the tunnel and bed pieces off to make work easier on exhaust and more bracing.

Overall, I am very happy with the outcome and am very glad that it is done. It wasn’t terrible work but it was very time consuming.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Good Job!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
We decided that the next step after the floors was the roll cage.

We spent all day Saturday and were able to get the rough outline of it done.
















Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
We were able to get some good work done over the weekend

On Saturday my dad and I were able to get some tubes fit on the top of the roll cage.



On Monday my dad and I got out in the barn again and were able to get the driver’s side seat mounted.



Then I had a snow day on Tuesday and was able to spend the day making the passenger’s side seat.

Both seats are on sliders so anyone who I take wheeling can drive it.








Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I was able to get out in the barn for a little bit today and I took the time to make the inverted V for the windshield.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
This past weekend I finished up the rear shock mounts. Shockingly, we were able to fit them under the fender so there won’t be any holes for mud to come up through.



After those were wrapped up, we bolted the cage to the body, aired up the shocks, got it to ride height, and rolled it out of the shop.









I’m very happy with how the stance turned out and am very motivated to work on it some more.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
After seeing how the front of the frame flexed up after setting it on its weight, we decided that the engine cage was the next thing to be built.

Started with the hoop along the firewall:





Then I tied it into the main cage:





I then supported the shock hoops from the firewall hoop:





The shock tabs needed some support, so I spent a while boxing them in. I’m very happy with how these turned out and how much my welding has been improving:








Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 
121 - 140 of 146 Posts
Top