Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
181 - 200 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
This past week I was on spring break so I was able to get a lot done on the jeep.

Shortly after posting the last update I bought a pair of the PRP harnesses. Got those installed

Bought some new headlights with an integrated blinker since the stock blinker won’t work with the shortened grill and the winch covers the area where I could have put a little aftermarket light.

Big difference between the old and the new

I got started on making some front fenders since the CJ hood gets so narrow up front. I used all the stock fender mounting holes and made 1/8” plates for the tubes to land on.

Before:

After:

I still need to pick up some sheet metal to plate the tops and the side once I get the time.

By Monday night my dad was able to wrap up the wiring for the lights and I was able to finish up all the street legal things and I got to drive it on public roads for the first time. Since Monday I have been daily driving it all around town and have put around 120 miles on it. It gets a whopping 9.4 mpg which isn’t too bad considering what it is and how badly it needs a tune.

We have a trip to Silver Lake planned for this Saturday and I’m very excited to see how it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Looks good. Some aluminum inner fenders look nice and make for easier cleaning.
Someday I would like to buy bead roller and take my time with making some nice inner fenders and shrouding for the radiator out of aluminum to clean it up since it leans back so far and to expand my skills. However, now that the Jeep is “done,” my main focus is saving for college this fall, so the bead roller has to wait. If it gets annoying enough to clean up then I’ll probably just make some quick inner fenders out of steel for the time being.

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
Someday I would like to buy bead roller and take my time with making some nice inner fenders and shrouding for the radiator out of aluminum to clean it up since it leans back so far and to expand my skills. However, now that the Jeep is “done,” my main focus is saving for college this fall, so the bead roller has to wait. If it gets annoying enough to clean up then I’ll probably just make some quick inner fenders out of steel for the time being.

Submit your project to Stacey David on Gearz. If he selects you for the what are you working on winner, you might get a gift certificate to woodward fab and be able to get that bead roller.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,750 Posts
Congrats on getting it out and about!!!! Awesome project, I sure hope my boy gets excited in a year or so to start his first build!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Thank you for all the compliments.

Saturday went very well. Absolutely zero mechanical issues and we had a great time.

Although there were no mechanical issues, the rear suspension needs some changing. It drooped out fine but it didn’t seem to ever bump up past ride height, which it had a good 6” of shock shaft showing. It beat us up all day.

We added oil to the shocks so that it would be at ride height with 200 PSI of nitrogen like the guys at Accutune told us, but they did not work at all. Something’s gotta change before the next time we take it out.

I’m leaning toward just buying some more coilovers for the rear since it’ll be quick, easy, and I know that they will perform how I want.

Also debating raising the car up a couple more inches so I’ll have more uptravel and once the rear suspension is working I’ll be able to go faster.

I plan on getting the jeep weighed this week when I go to pick up steel so that should help get the spring selection right for the rear coilovers.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,750 Posts
What do you currently have front/rear for shocks? Is it all new? Where did it come from? Sorry for all of the questions. I am very curious and also think others might be able to better help you with this info. I went back and looked a little for it, I am sure it is there, but I did not see it...

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
What do you currently have front/rear for shocks? Is it all new? Where did it come from? Sorry for all of the questions. I am very curious and also think others might be able to better help you with this info. I went back and looked a little for it, I am sure it is there, but I did not see it...

Thanks
The fronts are 2.0x14” fox coilovers without the reservoirs and the rear are 2.0x14” fox air shocks. The fronts are from my dad’s old Cherokee and he only had them for a year or two before he tore it apart. The rears are brand new. The rears took ~450 cc of oil too keep the jeep at ride height with 200 PSI of nitrogen. I think one of the main problems is that the 2.0 air shocks just aren’t enough to support the weight of the car.

·
Mall Rated
1,597 Posts
2.5's would make a difference, for sure. I have fox 2.5 x 14 on a full body TJ with armor and have wheeled it that way for a handful of years. I have played with the oil levels on my fronts and it made a difference. I haven't dipped into the rears yet. I only run 125-150 psi also. I also don't remember them being overly terrible while I was out at the dunes, but it has been years. I've been wanting to sell my Fox's and move to coilovers for a change of pace, because, you know, Jeeps are never finished.

Rig looks GREAT by the way! Nice build!

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,655 Posts
Glad it worked well and you had fun.

2.0 on a full body is too small.
I ran 2.5 x 12's on my YJ for 13 years. Air shocks like to have about 1/3 of overall stroke for up travel at ride ht.
200 psi at ride ht seems really low. I extended my shocks to full droop and had about 165 psi in them.
Oil level and viscosity and valving also come in to play.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,750 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Curious what your weight comes out at and bummed for you that the rear shocks are not working out. Hope fully accutune can work with you and make them work a lot better. I have been so tempted to go air shocks for cost savings but the majority of people say there are more advantages to co's...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Glad it worked well and you had fun.

2.0 on a full body is too small.
I ran 2.5 x 12's on my YJ for 13 years. Air shocks like to have about 1/3 of overall stroke for up travel at ride ht.
200 psi at ride ht seems really low. I extended my shocks to full droop and had about 165 psi in them.
Oil level and viscosity and valving also come in to play.

The 200 PSI was filled at full droop so it would have been more at ride height. It just took 200 at full droop to maintain ride height once lowered.

I got it weighed when I picked up steel yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. With almost a full tank of gas it came out to 4400 lbs. The rear weight was 2130 lbs, which gives me a 51.5% front weight bias with nothing in the back. I plan on playing around this week with some of the extra springs we have for the fronts to see if I can get the ride height a couple inches higher and then will order the rear coilovers based on what the front does with the different springs.

·
Mall Rated
1,597 Posts
When I did full extension at 200 psi with my 2.5's, they only collapsed a couple inches. Shim stacks/valving will help in tuning also. Coilovers out of the box will also need tuning. Accutune was no help to me when I called them, I was told to play with the oil levels and pressure. I played around with my fronts and softened them up but never did the rears. I may play with the rears some if I don't sell them

181 - 200 of 207 Posts