Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 15 years this Big Pig has been a pavement pounder :thumb: as it is Way to Heavy to be off roading. Now that does not mean I have not buried it right up to the axles a time or two but for the most part I try to keep it on hard stuff because it sinks like a rock. Unfortunately with the farm I don't always have a choice in where I need to go and am finding the Pig ill-equipped for the task. First step the dam thing did not even have tow hooks on the front bumper like every other Ram ever made apparently that was not "standard equipment" until 05.

Now it might not look stuck but all four tires are on ice and that trailer is in a little swail = need to call for help

And this time I cut the corner to tight hooking the stump with the trailer fender :( sliding the Pig off the trail and into the trees another fun one to get out of without pull points on the front. :rock:

So after years of procrastination it was time to address this problem and last night the parts came in and got installed

Now this is just one small step but it will make a huge difference in my world as I have a ton of other plans for this Pig in the future but for now I need to get the house done.

RBB

·
Yooper In Training
7,048 Posts
If you plan to use those tow points a lot I'd add some reinforcements. I learned the hard way that even the factory tow hooks rely heavily on the bumper brackets. After some pretty abusive pulling(two 3/4 tons trying to un-stuck a deuce and a half) I was never able to get the bumper aligned quite right again.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you plan to use those tow points a lot I'd add some reinforcements. I learned the hard way that even the factory tow hooks rely heavily on the bumper brackets. After some pretty abusive pulling(two 3/4 tons trying to un-stuck a deuce and a half) I was never able to get the bumper aligned quite right again.
thank you :thumb: I do have bigger plans for it in the future but for right now this gives me something to work with :rock:

RBB:usa:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Huh. My 95 and 06 2500 trucks both had front hooks. Never gave it much thought that it would have been an option. Even my 94 Chevy did. When I go shopping for the next one I will keep this in mind. Mine have gotten some use over the years. I bet another bumper would not fit on my 95 either when I sold it.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well last night it was time for round two :finger:

After taking my cap off it became very clear something is still not right with my drive line and or my new angles given the bed of the truck came up about 3 inches after losing the cap. So while replacing the carrier bearing I noticed I had a u-joint that was bound up and needed replacement. I have been procrastinating on some of this maintenance for far to long waiting for warmer weather. I am way over do for replacement of the u-joints in my front axle also. Just one more thing on my list of things to do.

RBB

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and now time for round 3 :finger:

I found a tie rod end and another u-joint last night that i need to put on my list of shit to fix :( this last winter has been hard on the old girl

·
Gustafson
9,038 Posts
:teehee: It is cheaper than a truck payment :woot:

a lot more work but cheaper :thumb:

:sonicjay: True! I'll be driving mine for a loooong time before I have another payment.

·
NEVER GIVE UP!
3,963 Posts
What kind of parts are you using that you are going thru them so quick? Is it just the local parts store stuff and get a life time warranty?

I know you said its a farm truck but damn you would think these things would last longer

and that ball joint, was that welding rods?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What kind of parts are you using that you are going thru them so quick? Is it just the local parts store stuff and get a life time warranty?

I know you said its a farm truck but damn you would think these things would last longer

and that ball joint, was that welding rods?
I am putting Moog parts in it :thumb: this truck has just lived a very very hard life with me at the wheel:teehee: that tie rod end had a little over 300 K on it and I was not doing a good job with getting it greased the last half of its life either.

RBB

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, you got a money tree in your backyard at that new house? :teehee:
I wish :teehee: but at this point this truck is still cheaper to repair then my old man's $800 a month truck payment :rock:

But that was until the water pump sprung a leak last night :finger: this one might cost me a bit more :(

RBB

·
Axle breakin' 101
3,119 Posts
Same can of worms with my 2010 Sierra. Replaced bumper, found out hitch was rotten. Replace hitch, noticed rear shocks were bad. Tried to replace shocks and spare tire winch was seized. Cut off tire winch and replaced shocks. Decided while i was there to change rear end lube, all cover bolts so rusted they were no longer bolt heads. wtf. :whiz:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts