Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
You realize that it just passed their senate, and still up for voting on it in the house, right?

Also, if the second amendment was "your concealed carry permit", it would apply to anyone that has reached the age of majority. Not just 21.

Cause a 20 year old isn't responsible enough yet.....21 is the magic number.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You realize that it just passed their senate, and still up for voting on it in the house, right?

Also, if the second amendment was "your concealed carry permit", it would apply to anyone that has reached the age of majority. Not just 21.

Cause a 20 year old isn't responsible enough yet.....21 is the magic number.
Ya I don't get the whole 21 thing. My nephew is 19 and completed marine boot camp of 13 weeks and 29 days of combat training. He just shipped out to 29 palms califorinia for communications training. He can use and train with weapons in the military but not responsible enough to be trusted in civilian life with a pistol. He wanted one real bad too.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
Ya I don't get the whole 21 thing. My nephew is 19 and completed marine boot camp of 13 weeks and 29 days of combat training. He just shipped out to 29 palms califorinia for communications training. He can use and train with weapons in the military but not responsible enough to be trusted in civilian life with a pistol. He wanted one real bad too.
I don't understand the 21 years thing. I'm sure it's stem from some historical false belief. I used to think that it should be 18 just like everything else.

To be honest though, I wouldn't want most 21 year olds now to be able to drink and have a pistol legally; I fully believe that Military should be exempt from that 21 nonsense.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Unless things changed in the last 22 years he can own a pistol at 18 but you need to purchase it from a individual not a dealer. :thumb: when I turned 18 I transferred the registration of 9 of my grandfathers pistols into my name, as I was shooting twice a week on a indoor league.

RBB

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,002 Posts

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
Unless things changed in the last 22 years he can own a pistol at 18 but you need to purchase it from a individual not a dealer. :thumb: when I turned 18 I transferred the registration of 9 of my grandfathers pistols into my name, as I was shooting twice a week on a indoor league.

RBB

That's still the case. Just has to buy from an individual if over 18 but not 21 yet.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,002 Posts
That's still the case. Just has to buy from an individual if over 18 but not 21 yet.
Well that makes no fricken sense whatsoever.

·
Skymaster
2,515 Posts
Also cant legally buy pistol ammo until 21, even though you can own one at 18. I had my dad buy one and transfer it to me when I was 19 and had a fake id so I could buy ammo.

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
Also cant legally buy pistol ammo until 21, even though you can own one at 18. I had my dad buy one and transfer it to me when I was 19 and had a fake id so I could buy ammo.

That sir, is a straw purchase, I wouldn't advertise that too much.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
IMO, if you are old enough to kill, take a bullet or die for this country, you are old enough to purchase and own a gun, ammo, alcohol.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
IMO, if you are old enough to kill, take a bullet or die for this country, you are old enough to purchase and own a gun, ammo, alcohol.
100% agree

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
No I had an ffl transfer it to my dad. He checked with the atf first before allowing it.
Buying it for an underage person, is a straw purchase.

Buying it, then selling it to another person, is legal. Which is guarentee is what the ATF told your dad.

I don't personally care, but you could not picked it up; so you had your dad register it to him. Which is considered purchasing it.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't understand the 21 years thing. I'm sure it's stem from some historical false belief. I used to think that it should be 18 just like everything else.

To be honest though, I wouldn't want most 21 year olds now to be able to drink and have a pistol legally; I fully believe that Military should be exempt from that 21 nonsense.
After reading these posts I'm sure my nephew will be looking to me for a pistol purchase when he gets out on leave.
I do agree that the military should be exempt from this rule. Voting is another issue. I see that most 18 yr old's don't have the capacity to vote for the better candidate that would do what is needed to move the country in a direction that is positive, and free stuff is not the answer.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
Why military be exempt? What, my non military 19 year old daughter is a second class citizen that isn't legal to defend herself but someone in the military is?

You are either old enough to be considered to be mature.............. or you are not. Simple as that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts