Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have pics of this "Pucker Hill" or can you explain to me where it is in the Mounds?

I swear I've covered most of the mounds several times and I've never seen any one hill that stands out to me as being any steeper then the rest, or something that could even be called "Pucker Hill".

So can someone tell me where it is? Or anybody have a picture of it? If I've missed it all this time I'd really like to go see it pretty soon.

-Brandon

42,950 Posts
I've watched four people try to climb it, 2 rolled, 2 ended up sideways against trees :sonicjay:

Its hard to get there, because its only quad trails leading to it. It was also really dry when we were there, if it was wet, I'm not sure how you could possible make it to the hill itself.

To the back left of this photo, you can see the trail.

This is a photo of me to the left of where dave is stuck in the 1st pic. its hard to find the hill your talking about without knowing the terrain around.

To the left of my jeep is the trail, just out of the cameras site

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... I thought there was one hill out there that I almost tried to climb because there was a hole line of ATV's going slow up another hill in front of us. It looked more like an ATV hill though then something vehicles should go on.

I wish I knew for sure, because that was kinda easy to get to but it was through tighter trails (not necessarily ATV trails).

-Brandon

42,950 Posts
Hmm... I thought there was one hill out there that I almost tried to climb because there was a hole line of ATV's going slow up another hill in front of us. It looked more like an ATV hill though then something vehicles should go on.

I wish I knew for sure, because that was kinda easy to get to but it was through tighter trails (not necessarily ATV trails).

-Brandon

We had three very capable vehicles, and it took us a long time to get out from where these photos were taken. All quad trails, and we couldn't fit down them. It sucked. Every rig took some damage there, especially romey's tub and all three windshield frames

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh damn.. Ok.. Yea.. My TJ is pretty much stock right now.. I'm able to do ATV trails a little bit better then most I'd think because I don't have wider wheels or a wider stance... but I don't think I would try this Pucker Hill from what your saying, but I would like to see it in person.

I'm pretty sure in the last picture I know where you are. I believe I was on top of the hill your trying to climb in that picture, and my dad's phone had rang so I stopped (was contemplating going down it into the mud.. but was pretty sure I'd get stuck). As he was talking on the phone I looked out my window, and just in front of my left front tire was about a 4 foot straight drop into the mud.

But behind us was one of the main trails, but to our right was a hill that looked like an ATV trail, that wasn't very steep but it had like 20 foot drop offs on either side. I wanted to go up to the top of it, but I was worried I was too wide and would roll it down one of the sides.

-Brandon

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, that does it. I'm going to have to go scouting around to find this. Looks interesting.

I'm assuming, judging by how light it is in the pictures, that this is the woods to the left side of the main trail when your going in?

-Brandon

42,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,643 Posts
Ok, that does it. I'm going to have to go scouting around to find this. Looks interesting.

I'm assuming, judging by how light it is in the pictures, that this is the woods to the left side of the main trail when your going in?

-Brandon
Good luck getting out in a stock Jeep.
We all took damage on the exit.
All of us locked front and rear, and the climb to get out was not that easy (I attempted it a few times open and did not make it).

I actually am looking forward to the next time we go, it was pretty fun

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh ok.. I should have asked if I could get out there in a stock Jeep..

Well damn, that sounds like probably one of the last remaining places in the Mounds that I might qualify as "fun". I've been out there so many times, and its been so dry lately out there, that it sucks. :(

-Brandon

42,950 Posts
Well damn, that sounds like probably one of the last remaining places in the Mounds that I might qualify as "fun".

-Brandon
The mounds are a blast, and a lot of people don't realize what is back there.
The only people who complain about the mounds are the people who drive through the same mud puddle over and over for 10 hours.

Theres a TON of tough stuff at the mounds. You just have to be ready to have some body damage.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,183 Posts
umm.

you wanted me to click on this link so I could read about you breaking a windshield frame?
No asshat:sonicjay:

I wanted you to see my solution to having damaged more than one windshield frame.

And yes, that area is a blast and can be very challenging for a very capable rig. Been in there a bunch of times. I got stranded on that ridge that CC is on one time & lost reverse. 95Geo was with me. We had pulled right up to a tree expecting to back up with a 2 point turn to go down into the mud. Took a good hour of creative winching to get out.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
No asshat:sonicjay:

I wanted you to see my solution to having damaged more than one windshield frame.

And yes, that area is a blast and can be very challenging for a very capable rig. Been in there a bunch of times. I got stranded on that ridge that CC is on one time & lost reverse. 95Geo was with me. We had pulled right up to a tree expecting to back up with a 2 point turn to go down into the mud. Took a good hour of creative winching to get out.
Your pic's are not working in that thread :thumb:

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,183 Posts
you have to be logged in. Anyone who is a paid Misfit subscriber can see them. Which CC is.

Don't really want to hijack this thread about it. Not sure if I still have the pics to start a thread.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts