Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Chrome Trucker Chicks Rul
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
................ is all shined up and ready for a cruise in the south of France :sonicjay:

·
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this is the second time I have towed this. seems to work fine if I keep the outboard down. I have a floating tow line and a small harness with brass hooks I made up. anyone else tow a dinghy? I anchored at the beach and took the kids for short rides around the sandbar area.

anyone here boat in Lake Huron?

·
Desert Rat
7,115 Posts
this is the second time I have towed this. seems to work fine if I keep the outboard down. I have a floating tow line and a small harness with brass hooks I made up. anyone else tow a dinghy? I anchored at the beach and took the kids for short rides around the sandbar area.

anyone here boat in Lake Huron?
Went out yesterday, going out today. tomorrow likely.
Skiing, tubing and swimming. Mostly keewadin to lakeside

·
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went out yesterday, going out today. tomorrow likely.
Skiing, tubing and swimming. Mostly keewadin to lakeside
I was out yesterday from 5 to 8pm. On the southside of lakeside. Did you see the Sheriff Boat hanging out at lakeside? They followed me up there then hung around for an hour or more. I didnt see them after they pulled over the tiki boat.

staying home tonight. I'm going to let my sunburn heal a little. Going out to dinner Wed night. Probably run down to St Clair so I can get the shelter of the pine river. I'm a little leary of the waves in the st clair river beating the boat against the pilings while im eating dinner.
have you ever taken the boat to the pilot house or junction bouy or river crab? :confused:

Do you like to skindive/ snorkel? we used to tie off to a wreck about one mile north of the BWB. I think it was about 15-20 feet deep.

·
Desert Rat
7,115 Posts
I was out yesterday from 5 to 8pm. On the southside of lakeside. Did you see the Sheriff Boat hanging out at lakeside? They followed me up there then hung around for an hour or more. I didnt see them after they pulled over the tiki boat.

staying home tonight. I'm going to let my sunburn heal a little. Going out to dinner Wed night. Probably run down to St Clair so I can get the shelter of the pine river. I'm a little leary of the waves in the st clair river beating the boat against the pilings while im eating dinner.
have you ever taken the boat to the pilot house or junction bouy or river crab? :confused:

Do you like to skindive/ snorkel? we used to tie off to a wreck about one mile north of the BWB. I think it was about 15-20 feet deep.
We were skiing between Keewadin and the cans.
Did you see the Spectre go by? He buzzed us a couple times

The Junction Bouy is good for dinner, we tie up on the downstream side of the breakwall with no problems, I haven't tried the river crab by boat, mine sits mighty low and their dock is pretty high.
What is this "Pilot House" you speak of?

·
Gustafson
9,999 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
tips for towing... keep some weight forward and make sure you have a good bridle. normally on those types of dinghy's there is a pad eye or ring on both sides about two feet aft of the center ring/eye. tie up to those to eyes and have that lead out to a single point hook up bridle. then if you really want to make up a little longer one for the middle eye and hook it in as a back up incase the first one lets go. out here on the chesapeake damn near everyone has a dinghy from 21' on up nightly docking is so damn pricey starting at $2.50-3.00 a foot for dinner

·
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'll be over in port huron for boat night, on the 16th.
I dont even go any more.

We were skiing between Keewadin and the cans.
Did you see the Spectre go by? He buzzed us a couple times

The Junction Bouy is good for dinner, we tie up on the downstream side of the breakwall with no problems, I haven't tried the river crab by boat, mine sits mighty low and their dock is pretty high.
What is this "Pilot House" you speak of?
yeah I saw him twice

I might try the bouy with my wife. Wednesday I'll be out with some of my friends. We will probably cruise up to the lake. What kind of boat do you have?

the pilot house has changed owners a few times. I have not been there since the previous owner.

tips for towing... keep some weight forward and make sure you have a good bridle. normally on those types of dinghy's there is a pad eye or ring on both sides about two feet aft of the center ring/eye. tie up to those to eyes and have that lead out to a single point hook up bridle. then if you really want to make up a little longer one for the middle eye and hook it in as a back up incase the first one lets go. out here on the chesapeake damn near everyone has a dinghy from 21' on up nightly docking is so damn pricey starting at $2.50-3.00 a foot for dinner
thanks for the tips, I have the bridle hooked to the towing rings.

·
welfare wheeler
6,989 Posts
i was at the pilot house in late spring(it has a new name). used to go there all the time when i was younger. i did not go by boat. the new owners did a little work to it. seems pretty similar to the old days. very good french onion soup. nice new york strip. wife had pretty good walleye. the dock looks like you could tie off to it. it did not look like slips to me though just looking from the parking lot. could be different down by the water. food and service were pretty good, and not too pricey.

·
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was at lakeside tonight. Was nice out there.

·
Desert Rat
7,115 Posts
I was at lakeside tonight. Was nice out there.
"Where the weather suits my clothes"

The edge of the thunderstorm rolled through so we had to run out into the lake to watch it go by.
Great day!!!

·
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
21' Scarab

you must have been gone, did you see the black wellcraft nova up there? I think he was anchored near you. I have the same boat except with grey graphics on the side.

I'm sure I have seen that scarab around town. very few around.

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
Yup, Huron, the river, the channels, and lake St. Clair.
All while wearing boat shoes.

I finally figured out your obsession with those things; you need traction on any surface - at a moment's notice - when your outdrive tries to kill you.

:d:

·
Desert Rat
7,115 Posts
Heading out to lakeport.
For today I'll answer to callsign "Angry Hampster", channel 69.

·
Gustafson
9,999 Posts
All while wearing boat shoes.

I finally figured out your obsession with those things; you need traction on any surface - at a moment's notice - when your outdrive tries to kill you.

:d:
:sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
in the real world, all pictures of boats include a beautiful woman with large personal flotation devices.

anyone? .......... anyone? :sonicjay:

·
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
this is the second time I have towed this. seems to work fine if I keep the outboard down. I have a floating tow line and a small harness with brass hooks I made up. anyone else tow a dinghy?

If I leave the outboard down it tows fine, except when the motor turns a little then it wants to track crooked. I raised the motor and it bounces around quite a bit. I think I need a longer bridle. Is there a rule of thumb for this? I have ski/tow harness for the back. Would that work any better?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts