Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

Simplify...
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Nice looking CJ-6. The bumpers look nicely done...I could see that rear bumper being very practical around the homestead. good score!
Thanks! I'm very much looking forward to driving it. I was torn on the bumper situation (terrible approach/departure angles), but thought the same thing about the intended use & practicality of leaving them. We'll see.

Simplify...
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Coming soon to our little slice of Tennessee...

A 30' x 44' Quonset Hut. This is the width/model we bought. We're trying to get some concrete slab estimates, and hopefully we can line someone up soon. Our area of Tennessee (and probably the entire state) is hopping with new construction, and between slacker employees who don't want to work, and the demand for their trade, it's tough to even get voicemails returned.

Registered
Good luck !!!

We got hit hard with the concrete shortage around these parts, I was only able to get one of the 4 truck loads, I need to do my garage floor before the cold weather put a stop to everything.

Most suppliers around here are 6 to 8 weeks out on mud.

I only wheel a boat.
Beautiful piece of dirt you have there Craig, Can't wait to retire down there. I will be looking in about 10 years to lock down some land and have paid for before I retire. Plan on living in a camper whole building my home. Nice thing about being there is NO PENSION TAX!
well and the scenery.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Beautiful piece of dirt you have there Craig, Can't wait to retire down there. I will be looking in about 10 years to lock down some land and have paid for before I retire. Plan on living in a camper whole building my home. Nice thing about being there is NO PENSION TAX!
well and the scenery.
Thanks, Shotgun. The absence of income/retirement income tax was definitely a consideration for us. Good luck with your property search. Start searching earlier than expected...property options have dried up and/or tripled in price down here since 2019/2020.

I only wheel a boat.
Thanks, Shotgun. The absence of income/retirement income tax was definitely a consideration for us. Good luck with your property search. Start searching earlier than expected...property options have dried up and/or tripled in price down here since 2019/2020.
Like I said in the barn post, too busy giving handjobs for the electrical shit currently.

That said hoping to have that mess paid off with the house in 8 years.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: 1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Update (1/16/2022)...

We now have a concrete slab for our soon-to-be-arriving 30' x 44' Quonset Hut outbuilding. We also got a visit from my "snowbird" dad, who stopped for a few days on his way to Florida. We were going to work on installing exterior siding, but the weather didn't cooperate. We did, however, make some great progress with some wrap-up drywall work. The space is really starting to take shape.

Here are a few update photos.

Craig

Ladder Wood Yellow Tradesman Composite material

Property Bicycle Building Window Interior design

Building Wood Architecture Interior design Flooring

Simplify...
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
WOW that is a ton of Drywall Screws, do you glue it also ???

RBB
Yeah, it's screwed every 8" o.c., and I also used Liquid Nails for Drywall. Mudding the screws is quick...no worries there in terms of time/effort. We're in a special high wind area, so I went overkill on fasteners for the exterior sheathing (3" o.c. perimeter, 6" o.c. in the field), and also with the "interior sheathing" fasteners. We also have mudsill anchors every 16", giant Simpson corner anchors, etc. I followed a combination of the Simpson High Wind Guide, and FEMA's high-wind guide.

Craig

41 - 55 of 55 Posts