Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TPI 350 in my jeep.

Now the only thing that has stayed static is above the block. I'm on my third block.

Ever since I've had it, I've had a loud tick tick tick coming from the engine. Everybody tells me its a lifter knock who sees it in person, well its not. The tick is coming from the FPR.

All the thirdgen guys told me it was simple. Swap out the FPR. Ok.

So I do that, to an edelbrock adjustable. no matter how I adjust it, it still ticks.

I then take off the complete fuel rail and soak it for a week in a mixture recommended by the thirdgen guys to make sure it is absolutely perfectly clean.

I put it back together, and it still ticks.

I then replace the FPR to an oem static pressure setup. Still a fricken tick.

I then purchased an adjustable fuel pump per some thirdgen guys saying that too high of pressure would make the diaphragm really chatter. Make sense, but again, still a chatter.

Then I had some douchebag (picture pavementpounder, but with a vette) tell me that this porsche fuel pump will cure my issue because it auto regulates pressure depending on :blah:. yeah, it didn't help.

I just took off my return line going to my fuel cell, and put it into a jar. The fuel is flowing out, but not a ton. Could a restriction on my return line cause FPR chatter? I have a 5/16"" return line, so I highly doubt that it is that restrictive.

So anyways, I'm done with those idiot corvette guys, and once they found out this was in a jeep, they stopped helping me anyway. So any recommendations besides thermite?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Are you 110% positive thats its the regulator ticking? I bet the ticking noise you hear is the tbi injectors working and that is normal. They can get louder with age. You might have one injector by the FPR thats making alot of noise? Does the ticking speed increase with engine speed? If it was the FPR ticking it would stay the same no matter what the engine speed because the fuel pressure never changes.

PS: 5/8" return line will flow plenty good!

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm sorry, my feed is a 5/8", and my return is a 3/8" line.

It is not an injector click. I have new 22 lb matched injectors from http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/ verified power with a noid light to each one, and I can use a scope to hear each individual injector and they are all of the same noise level.. just a baby little click.

The clicking definitely increases with engine rpm. In fact, if I move the TPS sensor (without giving it gas), the clicking gets much much quicker

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I just dont see why the FPR would tick faster with engine speed increasing. The fuel pressure is the same! So if it was the diaphragm chattering in the FPR it would not chatter faster just because of engine rpm but then again the pressure is the same but you are flowing more fuel. Only thing I can think of is to try another adjustable regulator (NONE EDELBROCK) as maybe that one is faulty even though it is brand new? Or you may have a restricted return line impeding flow and over working the FPR. Also what is the PSI before the FPR? If really high maybe that is over working the FPR? Thats the only answers I can think of for the FPR to do that.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I would check the return line...I doubt if the new FPR is faulty. If the return line has blockage it would overwork the FPR. Take the return line off and attach an air hose and blow 100psi through it!

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for what its worth, I found this and I'm switching out ALL of my return line to 3/8".

FUEL LINE SIZE
Fuel line size is determined by the horsepower of the engine.
Up to 350 HP 5/16" or –4AN
Up to 500 HP 3/8" or –6AN
Up to 700 HP 1/2" or –8AN
Up to 1200 HP 5/8" or –10AN
RETURN LINE SIZE
Return line size is determined by the output of the fuel pump.
Up to *29 gal/hr (110 liters/hr) 1/4" or –3AN
Up to *45 gal/hr (170 liters/hr) 5/16" or –4AN
Up to *90 gal/hr (340 liters/hr) 3/8" or –6AN
Up to *180 gal/hr (680 liters/hr) 1/2" or –8AN
*Pump output @ 45psi
PUMP SIZE
Pump size is determined by the horsepower of the engine.
Horsepower x .083 = gallons per hour @ 45 psi
Example: 500hp x .083 = 42 gal/hr
or
Horsepower x .314 = liters per hour @ 45 psi
Example: 500hp x .314 = 157 liters/hr
NOTE: add 25% to pump size for supercharged applications.

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
I think your input line is oversized (excessively)

but not sure that would cause ticking.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Could it be the cold start injector (9th)? Its only on 88 and earlier tpi systems. I think its on the drivers side between front and rear sets of injectors.

Another thought, it might be a noisy IAC motor. Try unplugging it to see if your noise goes away.

When are you working on it next? I would like to take a listen to it. I am just down the street.

·
can you hear the banjos?
9,801 Posts
Could it be the cold start injector (9th)? Its only on 88 and earlier tpi systems. I think its on the drivers side between front and rear sets of injectors.

Another thought, it might be a noisy IAC motor. Try unplugging it to see if your noise goes away.

When are you working on it next? I would like to take a listen to it. I am just down the street.
word

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
Give my brother a call. 734-663-3321 ask for Tom In parts to see if he can find the number for you. the part used to be called a fuel rail Dampner. its a length of hose with an acumulator built in to cancel the out the knock.

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Give my brother a call. 734-663-3321 ask for Tom In parts to see if he can find the number for you. the part used to be called a fuel rail Dampner. its a length of hose with an acumulator built in to cancel the out the knock.
are you serious? I might have to show him some man love :sonicjay:

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

nope, not the IAC. That isn't even located near the fuel rail. And my TPI setup does not have the cold start injector.

I thought you already had 3/8 return line?
I did, except for a small piece that wasn't. I replaced the complete line last night, still ticking away.

no.

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yetti, I just did some googling and sure enough my engine had that in it from the factory. The vettes from 88-92 had a fricken pulsation damper that stopped "fuel pressure regulator hammering". :sonicjay:

NONE of my chiltons or haynes manuals show that because it is inline inside the tank.

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wtf

Order Number 06******

Dear *******,

Due to extended backorder or unavailability of stock, your order for
387087 (Pulsation Dampener) has been cancelled as required by the
Federal Trade Commission. We appologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you are still interested in purchasing this item, we will be happy to place a new
order for you. Please call our Customer Service Department or visit www.jcwhitney.com.

Your business is very important to us, and we appreciate your patronage.

Thank you.

JC Whitney
Customer Service Department
1-800-469-3894

As a way of saying thanks for your patronage, we'd like to offer you Free Shipping on your
next online purchase of $75.00 or more. To redeem this offer, shop www.jcwhitney.com and
use Promo Code SHOPJCW at checkout. Offer not valid with any other promotion or sale

1 - 20 of 31 Posts