Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mine started out as a 83' Ford Bronco with a rotted cab, NP435 trans, NP208 case, ford 8.8 and a TTB dana 44. Picked it up for $50...

Heres a summary of things I have done to it, with tons and tons of help from my friends. (mostly busyfixin)
I dunno if you guys have seen any of Dave's fab work, but he knows his shit. I would never hesitate to have him build me anything, I'm just glad he doesn't charge me :sonicjay:

Body/Bumpers/Axles
F-150 Cab, shortened & rewelded 8ft box, hot wrenched fenders, relocated inner fenders in front and sheet metal screwed them in place. It clears 35s without a problem front and rear. Trimmed the frame back to the rear shackle mounts. The rear bumper is pipe and has 2 pieces (left and right) of receiver stock burned into the pipe on both sides for maximum strength. It's pretty high clearance IMO. The front bumper is pipe and is welded between the frame rails. It has a circle clevice mount with approximately 40 sticks of 7018 holding it to the bumper (overkill, we know)
The axles are stock for now - welded 8.8 out back and a welded TTB dana 44 up front. It still has the factory 3.07 gears.

Engine/Trans/T-case
Engine is a mostly stock 300 inline, but has a Offenhauser C-series intake and a TBI adapter plate. Spent gasses are expelled through a set of ford 300 EFI manifolds with a Custom Dizzle Y-pipe and a flowmaster 40 series, exiting next to the radiator, in the bed. Yes it's stacked.
Fueling is provided via GM TBI. I used a 305 throttle body, and the ECM still has the 4.3 astro van chip. I'm not using a VSS, and I interfaced the GM ECM with my ford duraspark distributor. I'm also utilizing the stock ford TFI coil. It's 1.5X more powerful than a GM HEI..which isnt saying much, but oh well. Timing is ECM controlled, and I blocked off my old mechanical fuel pump with a kustom plate and drilled & tapped it for the knock sensor. Used a ford inline fuel pump, with the fuel filter BEFORE the pump. I read something about this helping fuel pump life..who knows. Also ran a return line to my sweet gas tank. I will mention that later. Nothing special going on with the T-case - It's a cracked case POFS NP208 which leaks oil and whines like CRAZY. I plan on swapping in another NP208 or a BW variant.
Trans is a tried & true NP435...I also replaced the clutch and went with the larger 10 inch disc. The flywheels were the same size so this was a direct bolt in. It's also hydraulic, which I dig.

Other Misc

Alternator / cooling - I replaced the stock 60A alternator with a ford "3G" which outputs 200A. Running 2GA wire throughout - also relocated the battery to the bed. Radiator is mounted in the bed with a welded steel frame. A ford taurus fan provides cooling, and 1" hydraulic hose was employed for the run from the engine to the radiator. The trickiest part of this is bleeding every possible air bubble out of the system.

Gas Tank - The gas tank is a custom design - Labbat keg which holds 16 gallons. I drilled & tapped the bottom of the keg for fuel lines - 1 to the fuel pump, and 1 for the return line. It is also mounted to the bed and I'm using 2 90* fittings mounted to the top and bottom of the keg with a line connecting them to accurately sense fuel level. It's optical but whatever its better than nothing...I used a simple rubber expandable plug with a 1/8 hole drilled in the bolt to plug up the top of the keg.

York OBA is also being used - I scoured for a long ass time trying to find the factory mounting brackets for the 300, also got a big displacement pump and have a water seperator and check valve coming off of the pump. There is 1 air hookup in the front, and a 2 gallon accumulator tank with an air hookup mounted in a toolbox in the bed. Also have a 20ft whip hose. I'm using a SUNX brand pressure switch with hysteresis and a digital display. It works awesome. I had one laying around for a project I was working on years ago and decided to try using it. (I'm an automation technicican / PLC programmer)
I blocked off the radio and made a 3 gauge pod that has temperature, the above said pressure switch, and a volt gauge. All of the factory gauges still work too.

Saginaw steering box - This was an awesome mod. Ford power steering pumps suck donkey balls for quarters so when I saw this swap I just had to do it. The trick is to find a econoline van. They used saginaw pumps from the factory and have all of the required brackets to complete the swap. I drilled the oriface out as well and I'm still using the ford coil style cooler and also mounted an aftermarket cooler in the grill....shouldn't be overheating that anytime soon. On dirt, I should be able to turn my 35x16s with 1 pinky.

Core support - All of us ford guys know that the core supports on the 80-96 are just plain JUNK. They rot out and make a normally good front clip junk. Mine was junk, so I hot wrenched the bottom mounts off and ran a couple pieces of pipe across where my radiator used to be, smashed both ends of a piece of pipe and welded it to the frame, then welded a 7/16 bolt to the pipe. A couple rubber bushings and a nyloc nut and my front end was 100% secure.

Tool box - Mounted a tool box in the bed to store all of my goodies - spare axleshafts, spare driveshafts, spare lockouts, tools....you get the picture

Tires - Picked up a set of 35x16x15 boggers couple months ago, haven't mounted them yet but I'm doing a set of DIY beadlocks utilizing some shitty rims we had laying around.

Overall I dig it. Now all it needs is me to stop being lazy and swap in a solid HP44 and a 9". I also have a ford 203 low range box and I would love to double it.

If anybody else has any ideas I'd love to hear them!!
PICTURES WILL BE UPLOADED soon....
Sneak peak is my avatar. I might be forgetting some stuff and I plan on adding things to this thread as I go along.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
couple pics...
I've cleaned it up quite a bit since this pic was taken...peep that high end oil filter!
engine.jpg

shreddij.jpg
Buddies property

bustedcoupler.jpg
Heres what happens when you don't let off and your right front is airborne...

wheelin.jpg
Just play pimpin

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...and you know this, man!

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also plan on cutting a hole in the firewall and routing my air cleaner hose through there. Poor mans snorkel.. You can see I mounted the TBI backwards - this allowed me to use my factory ford throttle cable...

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yeah, and all of the breathers axles/tranny/t-case have also been relocated to the top of the box.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finishing up the DIY beadlocks this week and mounting up the boggers. Will post pics.

Also sourced a set of dodge flat top knuckles that I will use when I find a usable pre 78 HP44...Guess I'll be running dodge brakes :sonicjay:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts