Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning my next tire purchase. 2018 Trd Pro. Pretty stock. I do a lot of fire roads to and from hiking locations. About 2-3 off-road trips a year. 1 on the beach, requires airing down.

Considering a lift, leaning towards OME BP51s.

Main goal is gain ground clearance, maintain reliability, as far as tires/wheels go; lessen the impact on MPGs, unsprung weight.

I am really considering 255/75. They should easily fit on stock suspension (pro)

The 255/75 seems like the sweet spot? The BFG K02 is 32”dia 6ply 10”wide 46lbs! 6lbs more than stock 265s and 1/2” taller. Compared to the 285 faulken (prob the most popular upgraded tire) which is also 32” 11”w 6ply is 62lbs!!!

To be honest the 285 KO2 isn’t that bad either. BUT.. I feel like the narrower tire would tuck up in the factory spare location much better! (+2 for improved ground clearance AND reliability; very OEM appearance)

255/80 would be nice but it appears to be ONLY available in load range E, 10ply. That is far to heavy and unnecessarily stiff for me.

Seems like K02 and Duratracs are about the only Decent AT tire. There Rest seem like road only or mud terrains.

What are your thoughts? What about a installing on a wider wheel or something with more aggressive offset?

Thanks gang!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I've been running 255/75r17 for years, on my FJ Cruiser and now on my WK2.

I prefer a skinnier tire, it's easier on parts, easier on MPG, and still functions just fine.

·
Gustafson
9,286 Posts
I agree with what you are saying, but at a 1/2" taller, you are only gaining 1/4" of ground clearance and IMHO that's not even noticeable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with what you are saying, but at a 1/2" taller, you are only gaining 1/4" of ground clearance and IMHO that's not even noticeable.
Very good point!

So what is your opinion, stick with the 265 and have a better tire choice?

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,490 Posts
Very good point!

So what is your opinion, stick with the 265 and have a better tire choice?
Might be the best thing to do if possible. It will also keep your speedo accurate....

·
Gustafson
9,286 Posts
I was looking at 265/70 Toyo Open Country at3

It gets really good reviews and is pretty lightweight.
They are decent, but depending on how rough the trails you drive are, they don't have the strongest sidewalls. (at least they didn't years ago) My vote is always for BFG A/Ts, but I understand your issue with not wanting a lot of weight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
They are decent, but depending on how rough the trails you drive are, they don't have the strongest sidewalls. (at least they didn't years ago) My vote is always for BFG A/Ts, but I understand your issue with not wanting a lot of weight.
I’m willing to bet you can’t go wrong with KO2. They seem to of been around for a long time, I think BFG knows what they’re doing when it comes to tires.

Truth be told it seems like a very competitive market for the 265, 275, 285 sizes. Probably can’t go wrong with any of the major brands.

I am leaning towards the KO2except for there seems to be very strong opinions about them. People either love them or they really don’t like them.

One plus for me is the KO2 is available in a load range C.

In my opinion when I replace parts I like to replace them with something better. Load range see seems like it might be slightly “better” than a P rated tire.

The Toyo open country AT3 goes from P rated to E rated. I don’t think I need an E tire. And fear that it would also ride a little too stiff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts