Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Thanks to craigslist, I scored a 10k mile marker hydraulic winch for an absolute steal of a deal. Need to hit up hydraulic store tomorrow for a few fittings and she'll be operational.

Not that it was needed, but it can't hurt so I threw on a 10x10 cooler I had laying around for the PS system.

Again, wasn't needed, but it can't hurt. I had the filter head laying around so I mounted it up in the bumper. It's nice and protected here and the hose routing will tuck up cleanly.

· No more Jeep
4,009 Posts
Very nice. I love seeing a TDI motors being used in other vehicles. I know someone that is having one drop into a CJ7.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
Very nice. I love seeing a TDI motors being used in other vehicles. I know someone that is having one drop into a CJ7.
I've done lots of engine swaps and ridden in many. For a sub 5000lb vehicle, I don't think there's a better bang for the buck diesel option in terms of weight, performance, and overall cost. If you're gas swapping, then an ls I'd say is king, but everyone already knows that :).

Hydraulic winch is fully operational and I already had it use it to pull a dead vehicle up an iced over 8% grade driveway. As expected, line speed isn't raging fast, but I know I can pull all day and now have a baseline speed to make power steering pump modifications against.

Tig'ed on some 6an fittings

Ran a switch in the cab so I don't have to use the remote sitting in the truck. I'll get a nice switch the next time I order from McMaster, this was a super cheapie I had laying around.

Cooler plumbed up

Filter

Hooked to a tree and spooled the line on in high gear as a test. This line is ugly towards the bottom so I hit up ebay for some 7/16" synthetic line and a hawse fairlead that will be here next week.

I took apart a spare vw pump to see what the guts of the regulator look like. Holy hell the flow passage in the outlet fitting is small haha. I cut the pin off the pressure piston that protruded into the orifice and use some small carbides to give a better flow path than the two tiny notches that were there from the factory. I'll add the 2 washers under the spring to bump the pressure. I have a pressure gauge I'll hook up to check outlet pressure after the mods.

Stock

Mod attempt #1

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
So the modded pump fitting did make the winch faster, especially with engine at 1500rpm. However, the PS pump sounds like a wicked supercharger above 2500rpm. So I'm going to try something halfway in between the stock and the first attempt I did.

Courtesy of ebay, 100' of 30klb rated 7/16" synthetic line and a hawse lead for $150 to my door. The steel cable was ugly and had quite a few knots and pinch spots.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
I dig this build. I missed out on an almost completed grand cherokee tdi swap last year. I would really dig something along these lines as a dd.
Thanks man! That's too bad, a tdi grand cherokee would be a perfect 30mpg suv easy! It wouldn't be any slower than a 4.0L either.

Went on a 500 mile trip this weekend for some snow wheeling with some good friends. Towed a friends XJ on my trailer on the way there and ran empty on the way back. Left the jeep and trailer there for another wheeling weekend in 2 months.

Got some really funny looks, but it handled the ~6200lb load perfectly (trailer has brakes on both axles and using a prodigy rf controller, no worries). On level ground, I could run 5th gear at 2500rpm/70mph easily with 1050-1150F egts and 26-28psi. On hills I'd drop to 4th and egts would sit at 1250F-1300F and 38-40psi at 70mph. Coolant temp never went over 203F. Long story short, I was running within safe limits.

Picture of gauge at top of a 6% grade. Needle is total boost, EGT is self explanatory, and PSI is low pressure stage boost.

Here's a video of normal rate acceleration with the XJ on the trailer.

40mph winds the day before made for some very interesting wheeling. Would go from 3" to 3' as I found here. The winch got lots of use this weekend! After a hard continuous pull of about 60ft pulling myself and an f350 through a deep area, the hydraulic motor wasn't even 100F to the touch. It may not be the fastest, but that's the reason I went hydraulic over electric right there.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
The truck has been riding worse and worse lately, so I decided it was time for a mild suspension refresh. New bilstein shocks, sway bar links, and upper control arms as the ball joints were a touch sloppy. Upon removal, old shocks were 110% blown :sonicjay:. Took it down a trail for a test and it's sooooo much smoother now.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts