Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some input trying to figure something out with a vpn software package for lan games. specifically related to the gateway metric. if I force is for the vpn the lan games don't work and the internet works. if I set it to auto the lan games work and the internet is hit or miss, some sites work some dont and email dont work. Tried forcing a metric for the NIC and left the vpn at auto and no dice. everything borked.

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
What specifically are you using?

With routing metrics, the lower metric is always the path taken if possible. It's not possible to VPN only games, unless you either use a wrapper application around the game executable, or you have a specific IP range to VPN.

example, you have 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.1.1 metric 0, and 0.0.0.0 gw 10.1.1.1 metric 10.... ALL traffic on the system will head through 192.168.1.1.

If you have 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.1.1 metric 0, 0.0.0.0 gw 10.1.1.1 metric 10, 10.0.0.0/8 gw 10.1.1.1 metric 0... all traffic EXCEPT 10.x addresses will go through 192.168.1.1. VPNs are almost always at an IP level, not an application level.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm using hamachi. it installs as a vpn adapter in the net connections. basically creates another gateway for LAN games. people can create a 12 person network group and there's a central server that handles routing which all works fine for me as thats handled over a tcp port that I'm forwarding fine.

in this particular case the game isn't smart enough to choose which adapter is for LAN games so the normal fix is simply to set the binding priority higher for the hamachi vpn which I've done. the metric setting was a second recommendation for other folks. the metric ahs had no impact on my ability to host whether its auto or static. its when I go to letting it be auto that I get screwed out of everything except the game.

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
are you trying to use the "find lan game" function, or connect directly to IP.

If the game gives you option to directly IP, do that instead.

I'd have to see specifically what you're trying to do to know what's going on. By reprioritizing the gaming adapter as the top metric, you are effectively blocking access to the internet. You can't reach the internet through that adapter, only the game/your friends.

·
steveo's alt...
822 Posts
Try just opening up the ports in ur router. What game are you trying?

I've had this problem in the past with hamachi, and spent days trying to get it running, but finally quit. Hamachi has some ports open and some port closed.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've forced hamachi to a port. peer to peer functions are done over a UDP port you can force and I have it forwarded. This game doesn't allow direct IP mapping though, otherwise I'd use it. clearly if changing the metric allows the function to work its a priority issue between the hamachi vpn adapter and my actual NIC adapter.

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
Try just opening up the ports in ur router. What game are you trying?

I've had this problem in the past with hamachi, and spent days trying to get it running, but finally quit. Hamachi has some ports open and some port closed.
If the VPN is working, you don't open ports in the router, that's the point. It's a complete tunnel. What he's doing is making it TRULY a complete tunnel, where he can only get to the VPN network, and not the internet.

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
i've forced hamachi to a port. peer to peer functions are done over a UDP port you can force and I have it forwarded. This game doesn't allow direct IP mapping though, otherwise I'd use it. clearly if changing the metric allows the function to work its a priority issue between the hamachi vpn adapter and my actual NIC adapter.
In those cases, you won't be able to use both the internet and the game, then. Metrics always either go one way or another.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In those cases, you won't be able to use both the internet and the game, then. Metrics always either go one way or another.
it worked fine when i had it under XP. Since upgrading to vista 64 bit with its added IP v6 BS I can't get it to work completely. and yet it should be smarter.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://logmeinwiki.com/wiki/Hamachi:Routed_Tunneling_/_Bridging_Networks_Together

If you do something like that, you can route all of your internet traffic through a friend's PC.

The application and networking is working as designed. Something was apparently broken in XP. Try turning the Vista firewall off perhaps?
i dont trust the folks I'm playing with enough to bridge though. i did try turning the firewall off just to make sure it was that that was the problem.

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
reboot, connect to hamachi, do a "route print". Document the commands you run to "fix the issue", then do another "route print".

Then post all that info here and some of us can be more helpful.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why not just setup persistant routing for the Hamachi IP range on your system?
i've tried that and it doesn't help the situation. most of the "solutions" are for people not being able to see me as the host which i don't have a problem with. the issue is with me seeing them. the application is struggling between using the NIC or the hamachi with regards to priority. since the app has no means of being forced to a network adapter I'm stuck playing with priority and metrics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts