Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First what wiring setup or controller are you guys running, what seems to work best?

Also, can you reverse the polarity of the fan and run it as a pusher instead of a puller?

Thanks

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
First what wiring setup or controller are you guys running, what seems to work best?

Also, can you reverse the polarity of the fan and run it as a pusher instead of a puller?

Thanks
eh I wouldnt suggest reversing the polarity...the fan blades only work 1 way...they aren't uni-directional.

In my wheeler I just have 2 30A relays and a flip switch in the cab to turn it on. I have seen setups that use the thermistor switch with a manual override. You could use the low speed setting with the thermistor and then the high speed on the manual override. I'd also consider an OFF switch which disables both auto(thermistor) and manual incase you are crossing water.

Keep in mind that 2 30A relays in parallel is kind of required...I've heard numerous stories of guys only running 1 and having the contacts weld...the fan draws 33A @ 12VDC on high
Current will also be skyhigh when the fan is first started....

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
x2 but if you have an over ride for off... make sure you don't bump it... ugh.
Is that from experience? I am going to look at 2 different fan set ups in a few days but I think at this point I will probably be going with dual 10in fans just based on clearance issues.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Money wise the taurus fan is waaay cheaper and already has a shroud which fits my radiator perfectly.

To each their own though....this stock setup flows 2200 or so CFM

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Money wise the taurus fan is waaay cheaper and already has a shroud which fits my radiator perfectly.

To each their own though....this stock setup flows 2200 or so CFM
The only reason I am probably going to run the 10 inchers over the taurus fan is that on the engine side of my radiator I have just shy of 3" clearance and on the front side I have maybe 2 to 2.5" What I will probably do is run the fans as pushers on the front side of the radiator to leave room to work in the engine compartment.

·
Im going FAST!!!
3,810 Posts
The only reason I am probably going to run the 10 inchers over the taurus fan is that on the engine side of my radiator I have just shy of 3" clearance and on the front side I have maybe 2 to 2.5" What I will probably do is run the fans as pushers on the front side of the radiator to leave room to work in the engine compartment.
As long as your motor runs fairly cool that set up should work I had pushers and they did'nt do much for me I now have the Taures fan set up with 2 30amp relays and my motor NEVER lifts from 180 I LOVE IT unless I forget to turn the fan on.....then it goes to 265 well that as far as the gauge reads any ways.....oh well its a 302 it can handle it :sonicjay:

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We'll have to see. I think I may end up borrowing 88yj's after all to see if there isn't some way I can finagle the taurus fan in there. I'm so confused...

·
meh.
7,816 Posts
I havent dropped mine in but I have started wiring for it with information from threads on here.

one 30 amp relay run to a switch then low fan, one 70 amp relay to a switch then to high fan. I might use a fuse tap and wire them so they only have power when the Jeep is on but I liked another setup I saw where he could leave it running on low for a while without anything else on.

www.12voltguy.com is a great place to get relays and he sends a good chart with every relay

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Is that from experience? I am going to look at 2 different fan set ups in a few days but I think at this point I will probably be going with dual 10in fans just based on clearance issues.
Yep, I bumped my switch twice now, and I thought it was tucked up under far enough that I wouldn't bump it... Though I think one of them was I just forgot to turn it back on from the night before, I had been flipping it off so the engine would run warmer in the winter cold. I am goign to wire up an idiot light one of these days.

I havent dropped mine in but I have started wiring for it with information from threads on here.

one 30 amp relay run to a switch then low fan, one 70 amp relay to a switch then to high fan. I might use a fuse tap and wire them so they only have power when the Jeep is on but I liked another setup I saw where he could leave it running on low for a while without anything else on.

www.12voltguy.com is a great place to get relays and he sends a good chart with every relay

There really is not a point in leaving the fan running when you turn the jeep off unless you have an electric water pump. It will only cool the coolant in the radiator and your engine will only see negligable effect from it.

Buying fancy relays online are nice, but keep in mind if you don't carry spares then you should get them from your local auto parts, then you know that 90% of the time they should be in stock -- they do fail, they do fry. Then you are SOL on the trail if you can't get one for a week.

I like my Taurus fan a lot... if you have that big of issue with clearance you can trim the shroud some :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts