Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the correct way to wire a Taurus fan? I want to run a high speed and a low speed on a three way switch. I don't want to run it on any kind of thermostat and I don't want to hook it up to the ignition so it's only on when the key is on. I just want to hook it to a switch.

What kind of fuses and relays do I need to run? What size wire? I am not an electrical genius so I am trying to keep this as simple as possible.

Thanks

·
MTU 4x4
1,407 Posts
There has been a lot of discussion on the taurus fans, so if you search you will find plenty of info.

When I installed my Taurus fan I used a 3-way switch, with no thermostat like you would like. I built my system like this writeup here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233676

It seems to work great. However, he did not run fuseable links the way I liked, so you can see my discussions about that issue, and what I decided to do here

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=45442

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
i'd wire it to the ignition also; i forgot to turn mine on occasionally and it boiled over a couple of times @ silver lake.

as far as the electrical supplies, i used 10 gauge wire. you'll need 2 relays, one at least 30 amps, and one at least 100 amps. (isn't that what it draws on high??) i used a different fan w/ only one speed, so i'm not completely sure about the high speed amps. 2 in line fuses of the mentioned amperage. miscelaneous fasteners....

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,272 Posts
how much are these fans

·
MTU 4x4
1,407 Posts
I second wiring it to the ignition. It is simple to do. I believe that the low speed relay draws around 30 amps, and the high speed draws 80-90 amps if I remember correctly.

The fans typically run in the range of 20-50 (price differences in the junkyards). The two speed fan is what you will want and they are found in the 3.8L Fords from 90-95. Sables, Lincolns, Taurus’

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,272 Posts
need one for the derby car

1 - 7 of 7 Posts